Buying fixed mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The front of the drive train is in front of the rear guard so the rear guard will not protect the drive train.

I've encountered this problem over the last week with the roads being very muddy.

I've spent the best part of this morning inventing this.

It's basically a carved up plastic milk bottle held on with some cable ties and spray painted black. It works a bloody treat.

View attachment 552954
unfortunately most of the crud that hits your front deraillier comes from the back wheel

Lovacott

Über Member
unfortunately most of the crud that hits your front deraillier comes from the back wheel
I've built a decent fairing now which has worked really well over the last week. I've added an extra bit where the yellow highlight is on the picture.

My bike is pretty clean tonight after 80 miles of muddy country lanes and I don't have mud all over my legs like I was getting last week.

Probably hasn't done much for the aerodynamics of the bike though....

1604084290125.png

si_c

Guru
Feel scared. Feel very scared! Seems a entirely sensible safety feature to me.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/technical-guide/mudguard-safety
A comprehensive resume of this potentially lethal danger and the ways the risk can be mitigated.
By having a fitting which breaks away at the fork end, there is a much greater chance that the interfering item will fall away to one side or the other before it reaches/jams in the fork crown/down tube nexus with the resulting endo.
View attachment 555395
Currently using Kinesis Fend-Off mudguards which are thicker aluminium with a rigid structure. They don't bend so are immune to this failure mechanism. One reason I got them in the first place.

Lovacott

Über Member
Currently using Kinesis Fend-Off mudguards which are thicker aluminium with a rigid structure. They don't bend so are immune to this failure mechanism. One reason I got them in the first place.
They look good and would fit over my tyre brilliantly apart from the fact that the web page states "one size"?

What does "one size" mean in the context of wheel diameter?

Why have they given details like the tyre width it will cover without mentioning the wheel size?

It doesn't make sense?

Drago

Legendary Member
Feel scared. Feel very scared! Seems a entirely sensible safety feature to me.
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/technical-guide/mudguard-safety
A comprehensive resume of this potentially lethal danger and the ways the risk can be mitigated.
By having a fitting which breaks away at the fork end, there is a much greater chance that the interfering item will fall away to one side or the other before it reaches/jams in the fork crown/down tube nexus with the resulting endo.
View attachment 555395
CUK arent presenting any evidence that the debris would fall way quicker, merely their opinion and theory with no technical testing to corroborate either,.

As aforementioned elsewhere, as a bobby I was once sent to an incident with a chap quite nastily injired by a twig in the back of the fork crown, not a mudgaurd in sight. Once an object is in your tyre and going round its liable to be there until it meets an obstruction - take the mudguards off entirely and there is still the most solid and unforgiving obstruction of all.

Proper rider awareness and observation of the surface ahead is the only reliable avoidance tactic. Most such incidents are completely avoidable and come about purely because the typical cyclist is poorly skilled and rides HUA.

Lovacott

Über Member
Proper rider awareness and observation of the surface ahead is the only reliable avoidance tactic. Most such incidents are completely avoidable and come about purely because the typical cyclist is poorly skilled and rides HUA.
I find that on a bike, my concentration levels are at 100% with one eye on the ground and the other on the road ahead. My fingers hover over the brake levers ready to snap shut.

I know that if I hit a pothole, ice patch, tree branch or rock, it's curtains for me.

I am also a car driver surrounded by a steel cage packed with safety features and maybe when I'm in the car, I take my "eye off the ball" now and again?

But on the bike, it's 100% concentration 100% of the time.

I've a set of SKS that I've been very pleased with, they keep a lot of crap of the bike.
I don't know how effective the safety clips are generally but I had a twig jam between the front wheel and the mudguard. The front locked up and the blade of the mudguard snapped in two. Luckily I was on soft ground so the tyre skidded.
I'd like to get another set but they aren't available in silver, only black.
Still using them but suitably bandaged with gaffer tape.^_^

Lovacott

Über Member
Very easy to say.
It is now. I've been in hospital twice after cycling accidents and I don't want to go in again.

I have a stitches scar over my left eye which is still very visible 30 years later. My top front teeth are implants.

I was a a bit "gung ho" back in the 1990's but I've more than learned my lesson.

So now, it's 100% concentration 100% of the time.

Top Bottom