Buying my first DSLR.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I went for a Sony DSLR a couple of years back. The image stabilisation is built into the camera body, so the lenses don't need it, and in the case of the model I got, some older pre-DSLR lenses are also compatible with it. I have limited spare time and wanted something that would be relatively straightforward to learn. I built the kit up to include 3 lenses, 3 batteries (2 from Ebay) and have really enjoyed using it.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The bloke who runs my local phot shop told me the other day that he would advise people who were serious about image quality to buy a Canon body because they will, via an adaptor, take Leica R lenses (the highest quality SLR lenses made and the R system has just gone out of production). R lenses represent relative bargains at the moment. So it might be an idea to consider the best Canon + zoom lens kit you can afford, then start looking for Leica bargains.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The bloke who runs my local phot shop told me the other day that he would advise people who were serious about image quality to buy a Canon body because they will, via an adaptor, take Leica R lenses (the highest quality SLR lenses made
<Ahem> I think many a Contax owner might take issue with you there. :rolleyes:

But it's in any case a wild exaggeration. I don't even know any pros who use Leica glass on a Canon body. The quality of modern Nikkor glass is absolutely stunning, and I'd defy anyone to tell the difference between a shot taken with the 24-70/2.8 than the same focal length Leica prime, and I'm sure the same is true of the equivalent Canon pro zoom.

Crankarm

Guru
Hello everyone.

I'm looking to spend no more than £550 on a decent camera and carry case and I've been told the Canon EOS 450 or 500 is a good bet but I'm open to anyone else's knowledge and sugggestions on the matter.

The cheapest I can find is through an internet site but I'm a bit worried because if I have any issues etc. In recent years I've spent over £700 on various compact cameras but none seem to boast the picture quailty I want.

Please help.

Ta

Don't forget to factor in the cost of filters (UV, Skylight, polarising ones as the minimum), an extra battery, a couple of decent memory cards, a dedicated flash unit with remote connection and tripod/monopod and of course bag which you have already mentioned. Oh and a basic digital photography/Photoshop Elements evening course at your local college for approx £80. You'll then be about set to go and make your mark in the world of photography. Post some of your pics .......

Another vote for Pentax cameras here. As Ben said, pick the one that handles the best, it's quite surprising how much of an influence that has. Consider next what accessories and lenses you might want to buy and do a little research on cost and availability, you might be unpleasantly surprised. Look carefully at kit lenses, they are often poorer quality and if you get into it they'll be the first thing you ditch.

Chrisc

Guru
I'm a Nikon user but the best advice I can offer is to go a try them out. The one that feels best in your hand is the one you'll be most comfortable using.
As has been said, more megapixels is not always good. More noise is the usual outcome which then means work for you in post processing.
My daughters D40 produces cleaner images out of the camera than my D300 for example.
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus will all produce images of stunning quality in comparison to a compact with it's tiny ( think little fingernail) sensor so it really is a case of you deciding what fits your hand and which control set you are comfortable using.
The nikon lenses are my favourite glass tho!

theloafer

Legendary Member
i use a canon 400d bought from jessop as a kit body +18-55 lens+70-200+batt grip very nice it is too then i dropped the 70-200 jessops wanted £60 just to send it away to see if it could be fixed +the cost of repair which i then thought once fixed it poss could let me down so asked the price of a new one was about £230 a friend told me about camerabox got a 75-300 1:4-5.6 usm +hama lens case +uv filter all for £165 here a few pics from last years tour in the alps
IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

larry

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
<Ahem> I think many a Contax owner might take issue with you there. :rolleyes:

But it's in any case a wild exaggeration. I don't even know any pros who use Leica glass on a Canon body. The quality of modern Nikkor glass is absolutely stunning, and I'd defy anyone to tell the difference between a shot taken with the 24-70/2.8 than the same focal length Leica prime, and I'm sure the same is true of the equivalent Canon pro zoom.

I know what you mean. I've got a couple of Contax G2 bodies with five lenses and most of the tests have them neck and neck with the Leica M lenses except perhaps when wide open. I just wish somebody would develop a body with a full frame sensor to take these lenses. The alternative is to send them to some shop in Japan to get them converted to manual so that they can be used on the latest digital Leica (M9?) but the price of that camera is somewhat biggish to say the least.

The guy in the shop told me that his main customers for used Leica R lenses are currently owners of Canon bodies. That doesn't mean of course that they are necessarily pros.

Hello everyone.

I'm looking to spend no more than £550 on a decent camera and carry case and I've been told the Canon EOS 450 or 500 is a good bet but I'm open to anyone else's knowledge and sugggestions on the matter.

The cheapest I can find is through an internet site but I'm a bit worried because if I have any issues etc. In recent years I've spent over £700 on various compact cameras but none seem to boast the picture quailty I want.

Please help.

Ta

As a freelance photographer I use in the main the high end Nikons, but for my cycling and walking I use a Canon powershot A570, because it a bloody good little camera, and take quite high quality images, good enough for use in most magazine markets.
The important thing with using a compact is it is small and light, slides into a pocket, which is much better than having a heavy lump of expensive camera swinging around your neck.

joebingo

Über Member
Go film. http://www.cyclechat.net/index.php?/topic/64219-its-all-gone/

Seriously though, I use a Canon EOS 350d and it's great - very good colour reproduction and pretty sharp images for the price and age - the new ones I'm sure are even better! I wouldn't bother buying the kits though, go for body only and save yourself some cash for a lense that isn't poor quality.

What's going to be your main use for the camera?

I still prefer film though lol.

on the road

Über Member
Have you thought about a Sony? Only drawback is they don't have movie mode, but hey're not a bad camera and if your last camera was a Minolta AF then the Minolta AF lenses will fit the Sony.

I bought the Alpha 330 because that was in my price range and I already had lenses that would fit it.

This is from the sony
DSC00293b.jpg

I agree about the Canon Powershot being a good compact, I've got A480 which I just slip in me pocket, it was just £60 from Argos. It's 10MP and has 3.3x optical zoom.

This is from the Canon Powershot.
IMG_0060b.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
The most important piece of equipment is the person behind the camera. One can have the snazziest best most competent camera on the market and still take a crap shot that is not correctly exposed, not sharp when it should be and terribly composed. All the gear no idea springs to mind.

Crankarm

Guru
I'm a Nikon user but the best advice I can offer is to go a try them out. The one that feels best in your hand is the one you'll be most comfortable using.
As has been said, more megapixels is not always good. More noise is the usual outcome which then means work for you in post processing.
My daughters D40 produces cleaner images out of the camera than my D300 for example.
Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus will all produce images of stunning quality in comparison to a compact with it's tiny ( think little fingernail) sensor so it really is a case of you deciding what fits your hand and which control set you are comfortable using.
The nikon lenses are my favourite glass tho!

I picked up a Canon D40 second hand a few months ago. It's mint and has had little use. It produces pretty clean images with little noise at ISO 800 in low light levels. Although I prefer my old Canon T90 which is of course a 35mm film camera.

My point and shoot compact is a Sony DSC P200 7.2MP with Carl Zeis lens. It has a fully manual option which is pretty useful. I have two of them just in case. I always carry one when cycling or running to film or photograph anything of interest or anyone that is a threat. Plus I have an old Yashics 35 mm compact again with a Zeiss lens which took amazingly sharp images back in the day. I haven't used it for years and figure it is now worthless.

Alan Whicker

My point and shoot compact is a Sony DSC P200 7.2MP with Carl Zeis lens. It has a fully manual option which is pretty useful. I have two of them just in case. I always carry one when cycling or running to film or photograph anything of interest or anyone that is a threat. Plus I have an old Yashics 35 mm compact again with a Zeiss lens which took amazingly sharp images back in the day. I haven't used it for years and figure it is now worthless

Yashica T series? Actually pretty desirable, and quite valuable - very good cameras indeed.

Top Bottom