Buying preloved clothes, shoes etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not second hand now, but 'preloved'.:rolleyes: As you know I work in a retro clothing shop selling men's and ladies clothes, bags, shoes etc from the 1920's up till almost present day stuff. The owner of the shop makes a fair amount of money. I visit charity shops and see stuff that to me looks naff, but to others maybe not. Though i do pick up some tweed jackets that were probably 3 or 4 hundred quid maybe even more, for a fiver or a tenner at most! I also see certain underwear items for sale in charity shops. Who buys second hand underwear I ask.:unsure: Anyway, do you or would you buy someone's cast offs?🤔

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I regularly have a look in charity shops and buy stuff. In the last year I've bought a beautiful Crombie coat, several shirts and a couple of jackets/ blazers. I looked at a leather coat today but decided against it as I didn't want to look like a Gestapo officer.
They're also good for cookware, I've got a few pie dishes and the like.
I wouldn't buy underwear though.

Yea Gods!!!!

You clearly do not live near me

second hand clothes shops round here are lucky to get a couple of tops and trousers from M&S - stuff that originally cost £300-400 just doesn;t happen!!

but - to answer the question - no way I would buy underware
shoes would also be a stretch

jackets would be OK but I have never seen one that I would be seen dead in
in fact when I have looked I had seldom seen anything that was even close to something that I would want to wear

except when I went into one in a different town with someone I worked with
better area - better stuff
he got most of his clothes from there!!

AndyRM

XOXO
I think it's British Heart Foundation who have some sort of deal with Next to get their last season stuff, so it's usually new, I've had a fair few bits and bobs off them in the past. I like Mind too, as they're a mental health charity.

Underwear? No way. Grim.

I wander into charity shops in "better" areas a fair bit if passing through.
Years ago I got a very nice Burberry raincoat from a charity shop in a good area where I lived - they were rather canny - they put the best stuff in the window for a week or so and you had to wait for a certain day (thursday?) to roll round to get it. I was there when they opened. My favourite boots for wandering round London came from a charity shop in Lytham - they were essentially new. No, I wouldn't buy second hand underwear, but then there's no need.

edit - I wouldn't buy bras either.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There’s a big market for second hand knickers but not for wearing, just for sniffing :laugh:

My wife bought an as new Rohan waterproof jacket this year for £10 and I was tempted by a Castelli cycling jersey for £3 but I have to accept I am no longer a racing snake.

My wife and daughter love looking around charity shops but there is a clear difference in quality between shops in wealthier and poorer areas.

Back in the day second hand was often seen as more interesting.
Flip in London in the 80s sold lots of american stuff - I still have a couple of very loud jackets that probably came from a mid western second hand car salesman. I used to wear some Flip shirts to work - and for a fair old while used to wear to work a jacket I bought for 20p at a jumble sale in the church hall opposite our flat. Rather nice it was.

Top Bottom