Buying preloved clothes, shoes etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Mrs Stephec says no to second hand shoes, but we've had second hand clothes for use when going to a 1940s event.

I’ve got a nice smart work coat that I bought for £3 from a charity shop. Think it is from Next so would have been £60 or so new. Also got a few pair of CAT socks that I bought new and a gym top.

As long as it’s good quality without much wear and once washed at home I see no issues.

I don’t buy shoes as I invest in high quality walking boots due to my pronation otherwise I quickly wear the soles into a slant.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Those big charity bin thingies we see on supermarket car parks seem to attract thieves. I suppose they'll think there might be items of value in them. One bloke was in the local paper recently for climbing in them, knicking stuff them climbing back out. How the feck can you climb in through that what must be at most a 2 foot by 2 foot gap, then climb back out again?! Unless they have a 'skeleton key' and get in the same way as those who empty them do.🤔

My Mum used to run a charity Jumble Sale every year

I worked in a big company at the time and had to wear a suit to work - as did the sons of several other people she knew

the best sellers at the Jumble Sale were always the jackets of the suit wearers - the trousers were generally so worn out they were not worth much

the one that he dealers went for were the handbags - they got in early and 'looked' at teh handbags
in reality they were running their finger all over them feeling for lost rings and similar
then left them
My Mum and her friends learned to hold them back until an hour or so had gone and check them before putting them out

PK99

Legendary Member
Several Charity Shops in Wimbledon Village, staffed by Ladies Who Lunch. Donations are often Designer and The Ladies have a keen eye.

I opted out of a perfect fit leather jacket at £185 the other day. Fair price for a really good item in almost new condition.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No such thing as Charity shops down here of course but there is the 'Obroni whawu', clothing from the dead white man. I've posted about it on here before and it can be a source of great bargains, all my wear comes from there.
It's a huge business here and shipped from Europe and the US.
You can pick up top brands, often designer stuff for very little money.
There was a trade in underwear too but the government banned it a couple of years ago. The Chinese underwear is very cheap so really no need.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I buy clothes from charity shops all the time, I've never thought twice about it. I'd not buy underwear though. I've bought shoes though.

In fact, today my first ever piece of Rapha kit arrived...second-hand. I'm obsessed with it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs Tenkaykev’s mum used to be the manageress of a charity shop in a quite well to do area. When there were donations of larger dresses, frocks and especially larger ladies shoes she would always put them to one side for when her “ boys “ came in.

Top Bottom