Buying preloved clothes, shoes etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Charity shops and army surplus every time except underwear. All my furniture is pre loved too.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I go to charity shops all the time, I tend to buy all my jeans & coats from them and some shirts, I only buy good quality / condition stuff though. I don't buy shoes from them as a rule but I got some fab Timberland boots for £10 last year they are the premium ones so £100+ and in a fab green colour, they can't have been worn more than 5 times.

There are a few near me that often get large donations of sample stock from retailers. They had a load of Rohan stuff in recently, I got a waterproof coat, a packable puffs style jacket and a nice midweight thermal jacket, £40 for the lot.

stephec

Legendary Member
I did read a while ago that a lot of the bigger national charities are wising up to the value of donations now, I think it was Oxfam that have people sifting through everything before it goes into the shop, and the good sfuff goes onto their website to be sold at what might be termed a fair market value rather than a cheap steal.

A look at the website at the time pretty much confirmed that.

stephec

Legendary Member
For some reason, i have this vision of Dragos used, holed underpants sitting on a hanger in such a place.....:laugh:
If you can picture that your mind must be as soiled as his undies.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Norwich has a lot of good charity shops. Half my wardrobe items are second hand. No underwear though, never underwear!
I have a Jules sweater that was a couple of quid, some Jack Wills jeans that were £4. Favourite sweatshirt was a charity shop special. Couple of quid and, 4 years later, is still great. Good brand but can’t remember which as it would involve taking it off and looking. At a friends who doesn’t believe in heating at all.
There are bargains to be had and I have no problem with it at all. Some of my cookware is that old 1960s/70s Pyrex stuff and was perfectly price when I was starting from scratch after divorce.

Venod

Eh up
Although I wouldn't wear second hand underwear, I have worn used cycling shorts, kindly donated free by a CC member who's name I have forgot, I don't think he is about now, was an architect or something.

I had the impression that charities do not accept second hand underwear for hygiene reasons. Or is it surplus to stock and outdated models?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
you're doing well to keep finding genuine army surplus places - not a lot left - troops often short of stuff themselves these days.
There is a good one in Kent and I have collected for years. I still wear 58 Pattern combats! Very hard to find now though.

I go to charity shops all the time, I tend to buy all my jeans & coats from them and some shirts, I only buy good quality / condition stuff though. I don't buy shoes from them as a rule but I got some fab Timberland boots for £10 last year they are the premium ones so £100+ and in a fab green colour, they can't have been worn more than 5 times.

There are a few near me that often get large donations of sample stock from retailers. They had a load of Rohan stuff in recently, I got a waterproof coat, a packable puffs style jacket and a nice midweight thermal jacket, £40 for the lot.
Spill the beans. Where's this Rohan dump?

Top Bottom