Buying Specs on line.....good idea or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So just some feedbaack.

In hindsight I might have needed a optician to help me as I've ordered the wrong lens on one pair. I wanted an Anti-Reflective but have actually ordered AR and a blug light filter. The effect is quite a lot different to what I'm used to. Glasses Direct have said I can return them and have them changed for free so that's what I'm doing now.

So - read what you are ordering, it's not as clear (lol!) as it seems when picking the lenses.

And the 2nd pair is now also going back :rolleyes:. Couldnt get them to stay on my nose - they used cheap hard plastic nose rests rather then the softer silicone ones my old ones have and they keep sliding off. Fingers crossed they uphold their return policy of full refund if not satisfied within 120 days. Gonna order some more contact leses for time being.

Think I'll try Asda for my specs as someone said had a good experience. There's also Costco as I forgot I have a membership.

vickster

Legendary Member
Another thing as well as the hard plastic nose pieces with cheap(er) frames is the lack of sprung arms, indispensable if heavy handed and take on and off frequently!

Another thing as well as the hard plastic nose pieces with cheap(er) frames is the lack of sprung arms, indispensable if heavy handed and take on and off frequently!

Both arms were sprung and I liked the transistion lenses they used, but the damn things kept sliding down despite me near wrapping the arms around my ears lol
Must have been the style - looking at mine and they have sprung arms, but semi hard silicone nose piece !

I'm going to look carefully at the nose pieces, it's been 4 years since I last bought specs and have forgotten some of the basic checks I need to do.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
And the 2nd pair is now also going back :rolleyes:. Couldnt get them to stay on my nose - they used cheap hard plastic nose rests rather then the softer silicone ones my old ones have and they keep sliding off. Fingers crossed they uphold their return policy of full refund if not satisfied within 120 days. Gonna order some more contact leses for time being.

Think I'll try Asda for my specs as thoughtsomeone said had a good experience. There's also Costco as I forgot I have a membership.

I thought separate nose pieces went out with the Ark. 🙂

Are they back in vogue?

What style of glasses have you gone for?

Last edited:
I thought separate nose pieces went out with the Ark. 🙂

What style of glasses have you gone for?

I only got one set of nose pieces in the packet for each pair. 1st pair was a half rim I'd use for work with anti reflect, second full framed with transitions. They've gone back now as soon as they've hopefully refunded I'll buy some more.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I only got one set of nose pieces in the packet for each pair. 1st pair was a half rim I'd use for work with anti reflect, second full framed with transitions. They've gone back now as soon as they've hopefully refunded I'll buy some more.

They shouldn't slide off if fitted properly.

One reason why I stick to a local optician.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Think I'll try Asda for my specs as someone said had a good experience. There's also Costco as I forgot I have a membership.
It took my Asda reading glasses a couple of weeks before the screws on both arms started working loose.

So make sure you have some threadlock handy. :sad:

Fastpedaller

At least if there are 'difficulties/problems using the budget option the outlay isn't high if you have to just give up and ditch the glasses.
Before my good experience with Asda I had a horrifying one with another 'Supermarket Supplier'. Every little helps' they say :smile:, and they pushed it to the extreme...... As soon as I put their glasses on I felt sick - Their response was "Oh you aren't used to varifocals". My entirely honest response was that I'd had varifocals for 8 years with no issues. They bent the frames in an attempt to cure the optical errors - bizarrely heating the metal frames to assist the process. I explained I was an engineer, and unless they heated the metal to about 600C it wouldn't help the process, but that fell on deaf ears. 2 more visits and they were about to rely on the 'you've had them 30 days' get out of jail free card. I returned once more to the store and the Manager of the opticians wasn't available (out all day), so I appealed to the store Manager who thankfully sorted a refund after we told him the whole sorry story. Moral here (as it seems with any faulty goods) is to insist on a full refund without allowing them to fiddle with them, or you accept the repeated attempts to repair and leave the way open for them (the experts as the law would call them) to walk all over you.

Fastpedaller

As an addendum to my posts regarding 'Supermarket opticians', some observers would say 'they aren't real opticians'. My observation is that a great many (I'll admit not all) Optical suppliers use local optometrists just like the supermarkets. I can also see (no pun intended) that going to a local and having the same Optometrist examining your eyes year after year could have its own issues.

As an addendum to my posts regarding 'Supermarket opticians', some observers would say 'they aren't real opticians'. My observation is that a great many (I'll admit not all) Optical suppliers use local optometrists just like the supermarkets. I can also see (no pun intended) that going to a local and having the same Optometrist examining your eyes year after year could have its own issues.
More likely to have its own benefits. A history generated by consistent visits is more likely to indicate subtle changes which could be significant to your ocular, or even general, health

Fastpedaller

More likely to have its own benefits. A history generated by consistent visits is more likely to indicate subtle changes which could be significant to your ocular, or even general, health

I don't disagree with your logic, however, a different Optometrist may spot something missed many times by another. It's a bit of a conundrum. A newly trained professional is sometimes more able to spot particular conditions than one who has been practising a long time. Take dentistry..... for many procedures a long-serving dentist may be best, or a newly-trained may know new and more effective methods.
We (including health professionals) all have different skills/applications, all we can do is try to find the best.

Top Bottom