Bwlch Y Groes [now with pics]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Anyone here ever climbed the above?

Going on holiday near there next week and obviously intend on taking the bike and tackling the beast!

Does anyone have any advice of routes etc I could take or other places locally I could cycle as well?

Any input and local knowledge appreciated.

To anyone never heard of it, the climb is listed in the top 10 toughest in Britain.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/jul/20/britains-top-10-toughest-cycle-climbs

Thanks.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've ridden it on the Dragon Ride Gran Fondo. Apart from it being steep and needing my lowest gear (34x28) that's all I can remember :blush:

Oh, and I didn't stop/walk :smile:

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
I've ridden it on the Dragon Ride Gran Fondo. Apart from it being steep and needing my lowest gear (34x28) that's all I can remember :blush:

Oh, and I didn't stop/walk :smile:

I've got the right gearing, but don't fancy my chances of making it! Will give it my best go though!

Think I'll decide on my route and start around 10 miles before to warm up and see how it goes :smile:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
The views (assuming you can see anything and its not engulfed in mist and rain) will make going slow no hardship., even if you end up walking
P1010853_zpsd9ce873f.jpg
Lovely cycling all around there but you are brave indeed tackling it in January. Above photo I took while going up from the lake Vyrnwy side last August. The descent down to Bala is brilliant, sheep and sheep pooh to dodge, uneven surfaces, cattle grids, winding, fast and you'd be unlucky to encounter any traffic, what more could you want^_^ :bicycle: If you go right at the end of Bala lake then you can hang a right and can go up and over the Berwyns which is another pretty epic hill climb, not steep but long, TDF style hairpain on ascent and wide open moorland at the top, followed by a contrasting fast straight smooth road down the other side. Here's the route I did last August to give you more of a look. If you dont fancy any of the epic hills cycling around lake Vyrnwy is flat and very pretty. Enjoy.
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3187387

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
@booze and cake thanks very much for that. That route does indeed look like a very nice one. May well go back up for that one in the summer at it looks like it would be uber scenic. I'll be glad to a chance to get my 35miler done this time of year.

If I can figure out how I'll post my planned route up after work tonight.

Cheers.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I ride it every month. It's very steep at the bottom which ruins your legs for the steep stuff in the middle and the steep stuff at the top:laugh:

The drop down to Bala is fast but not as good as the drop down to Vyrnwy, this also makes a very good climb in reverse. The road out of Vyrnwy at Rhiwargor is an excellent and overlooked climb. There's a very steep section in the first mile, then it just climbs on steady but not as steep, again the drop down to Bala on this road is amazing, and super fast!

The road out of the east side of Vyrnwy drops down to Hirnant and then is a long but easier climb up with a nice ride into Bala, it's much busier though.

13508028884_9a158b9631_z.jpg

I always have a brew at the top
11903747543_125c6bfaa5_z.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ride it every month. It's very steep at the bottom which ruins your legs for the steep stuff in the middle and the steep stuff at the top:laugh:

The drop down to Bala is fast but not as good as the drop down to Vyrnwy, this also makes a very good climb in reverse. The road out of Vyrnwy at Rhiwargor is an excellent and overlooked climb. There's a very steep section in the first mile, then it just climbs on steady but not as steep, again the drop down to Bala on this road is amazing, and super fast!

The road out of the east side of Vyrnwy drops down to Hirnant and then is a long but easier climb up with a nice ride into Bala, it's much busier though.

13508028884_9a158b9631_z.jpg

I always have a brew at the top
11903747543_125c6bfaa5_z.jpg

I like a lot of your photos on Flickr, including the ones above!

Top Bottom