Bye-Bye Basques - a sad day for pro-cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes, I read that earlier. Confidentiality means that we may not know what the unbridgeable gap between EE and Alonso was. At least before the leaks start.... :sad:

So, unless I misunderstood: Alonso's bought the licence but now doesn't have a team? Did I get that wrong?

Whlst this is the least important aspect of the whole thing, a red, white and/or blue peleton (plus Sky and Cannondale) could mark the end of helicopter shots. Poor old Hugh Porter was struggling to dentify the teams in close ups during the ToB.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
You've given me an idea... my pitch for the next series of The Apprentice: "Team Amstrad Procycling"

£250k wouldn't get us very far though.

What about the Phones4U bloke? He's a bit minted, isn't he?
Not a terribly nice man though. More in to helicopters.

the only issue I have, who and what are they developing, young upcoming riders which is excellent or solely young upcoming Basque riders which harks back to the days of outright discrimination by the Basque region in all its sports, when they excluded all non Basques from all its professional sports,

as opposed to the oppression of Basques by the spanish government, including banning of the language and deliberate migration of people into the region to dilute the culture?

you could argue that British Cycling does the same, if you're not british you don't get to be a part of their programme.

It's a bit of a fashion disaster though Laurence, innit?
Only a mug would be seen wearing that outfit on Guildford High Street!!:whistle:

wait 'til the ToB next year - i'll have my Euskadi hoodie on!

this year i wore a Prendas top, although i did have an Euskaltel cap on.

the new stuff isn't that orange, mainly black with orange bits and EE logos. Prendas also sent me some rider photos as a present! i LOVE the prendas boys.

those days are long gone, the basque "country" isn't a country, that's like saying it's ok for Northumberland to run a cycling team solely of people born in that part of England...it isn't so why should there be an exception because it's the Basques..

the Basque region is separate in terms of culture and is largely run as an autonomous region.

why have a separate irish team when it is part of the british isles?
why is there a separate scottish and welsh team in the commonwealth games?

France also has regional teams, to an extent.

why shoudn't northumberland have a development team for the region anyway?

Top Bottom