' Bye George

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
In all the excitement and hullabaloo of the first British TdF winner, let's not forget the guy who the peleton pushed into leading them into Paris.

I remember how disappointed Cav was when the preleton did not allow GH get a symbolic day in yellow after being virtual leader on the road in a breakaway. ( 2010? ). Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have something to do with this gesture.....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...aris-in-his-last-of-17-tours-de-france_231377

raindog

er.....
I'll never forget his horrendous accident in Paris-Roubaix when his steerer sheared off. It was his ambition to win that race and, of course, he never did.

Hincapie-Broken-Roubaix.jpg

MichaelM

Guru
Are we all assuming that George is one of the USADA witnesses against LA?

According to the article linked to by the OP - yes.

Hincapie’s final Tour included a tough day and even a crash, and the American’s name came out as a witness in the case against longtime teammate Armstrong. But even under those circumstances, he came out of the bus and was the only rider named to truly address the situation.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
According to the article linked to by the OP - yes.

Hincapie’s final Tour included a tough day and even a crash, and the American’s name came out as a witness in the case against longtime teammate Armstrong. But even under those circumstances, he came out of the bus and was the only rider named to truly address the situation.
I read the article and missed that bit. Did I miss something while on hols? Have they released the names of the witnesses?

raindog

er.....
I read the article and missed that bit. Did I miss something while on hols? Have they released the names of the witnesses?
Some names were released to Dutch, Spanish and Italian sports newspapers but not from an official source. One of the magazines revealed that the information "came from the USA" but wouldn't say who. The rumour going round was that LA's PR machine did it.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Some names were released to Dutch, Spanish and Italian sports newspapers but not from an official source. One of the magazines revealed that the information "came from the USA" but wouldn't say who. The rumour going round was that LA's PR machine did it.
Thanks RD.
(700c) wheels within wheels!

MichaelM

Guru

Interesting.

I previously posted this:
which Yello reported the source as being Armstrong himself.

Personally, I'm convinced that Armstrong is as guilty as sin, but in reading his response to that article, I was beginning to have some sympathy with his view of it being a witch hunt if those mentioned had negotiated a 6 month ban.

He's obviously got an effective PR machine - though I'm still convinced he's a hypocritical, lying, doping, cheating git.

yello

I previously posted this: which Yello reported the source as being Armstrong himself.

Did I? Hmmm... I doubt I'd have said it was Big Tex "himself" but whatever. There were suggestions that it was team Armstrong (PR or groupie) based on the fact that the only names suggested where those currently involved in the TdF and not all of the 10+ names... though as far as I'm aware nothing was ever confirmed. The whole 6 month ban thing appears to be untrue as well. Not saying it won't happen but that it hadn't happened at the time of the report.

Anyways, I've no wish to derail this thread. I can certainly find it within me to wish Hincapie well, and recognise his past achievements etc, regardless of what the future holds for him.

MichaelM

Guru
Did I? Hmmm... I doubt I'd have said it was Big Tex "himself" but whatever. There were suggestions that it was team Armstrong (PR or groupie) based on the fact that the only names suggested where those currently involved in the TdF and not all of the 10+ names... though as far as I'm aware nothing was ever confirmed. The whole 6 month ban thing appears to be untrue as well. Not saying it won't happen but that it hadn't happened at the time of the report.

Anyways, I've no wish to derail this thread. I can certainly find it within me to wish Hincapie well, and recognise his past achievements etc, regardless of what the future holds for him.

Hmm, maybe I misrepresented what you said - apologies, I didn't mean to.

I'm just reading reports that the source of the story about the 6 months suspension for Hincapie etc was.... Armstrong himself. This would not surprise many and certainly it's the sort of thing I was anticipating.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/armstrong-charged-and-banned.104078/page-28

yello

Well there you go. I did actually use the word 'himself'. Praps that's what I read.... I genuinely can't remember now, or just me being loose with my wording (as I am sometimes) because it's certainly not what I believe, either now or then. I'm sure I would have meant it in a generic sense, I'm not THAT anti-Armstrong!

Top Bottom