Byocycle not good on hills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About five years ago I bought a Byocycle FDXL on the dealer web site it said preforms well in hilly area. Tried it up a steep hill by my home it was impossible .explained to my dealer he fitted a lower gear and to be fair it was better but steep hills were murder ,went to Huddersfield with a friend her bike a Pendleton Sormeby flew up the hills left me panting far behind maybe preforms well on hills meant going down them .
Is she fitter/lighter than you ?

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Where's the hills in Uddersfield?

Where'd he buy them?
New legs shop

classic33

Leg End Member
Didn't do what it said on the tin.
It's an e-assist bike, albeit a folding one. And at 27kg nearly as heavy as my quad.

The clue is in the assist part of e-assist, you've to do some work, it's designed to assist your efforts not mean you do nothing. Maybe those hills won't slow your bike down as much.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

It's an e-assist bike, albeit a folding one. And at 27kg nearly as heavy as my quad.

The clue is in the assist part of e-assist, you've to do some work, it's designed to assist your efforts not mean you do nothing. Maybe those hills won't slow your bike down as much.
Well aware of that but it was impossible my mate has been a keen cyclists all his life failed with it the bike I got takes hills in its stride moral of the tale you get what you pay for.

OK - so it is an electric bike - rather than a legal ebike - by which I mean a bike with pedal assist and complies with the UK laws on such things
i.e. max power 250W - no throttle and all that (post 2016 for the pedants!)

OP
OP
B

Biker man

OK - so it is an electric bike - rather than a legal ebike - by which I mean a bike with pedal assist and complies with the UK laws on such things
i.e. max power 250W - no throttle and all that (post 2016 for the pedants!)
Yes that's correct sorry if I give you the wrong idea .

DRM

Guru
Where's the hills in Uddersfield?

Where'd he buy them?
Huddersfield is bl**dy awful for cycling, it’s a very hilly area, and the ring road road round the town is an absolute disaster if you’re on 2 wheels with fast moving traffic and uphill bits no matter which direction you go, Crosland Moor is all uphill, with busy roads, everywhere round Huddersfield & Halifax is very hilly.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Huddersfield is bl**dy awful for cycling, it’s a very hilly area, and the ring road road round the town is an absolute disaster if you’re on 2 wheels with fast moving traffic and uphill bits no matter which direction you go, Crosland Moor is all uphill, with busy roads, everywhere round Huddersfield & Halifax is very hilly.
Yes I have biked all round Huddersfield Lockwood Waterloo Gocar Meltham struggle on the hills but enjoyed it people were friendly and helpful .

I've just googled the e bike. It's never going to be the best for hills. It is good for folding up though.

A normal bike plus the Swytch conversion would be much easier on hills.

Top Bottom