C bag on S bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Good luck with it.

I didn't really get on with my front-mounted bag. I found it far more hassle than a rucksack for commuting by train and car. Plus I didn't like not being able to see where my front wheel was.

I'm keeping it for those occasions when I need to carry more 'stuff' back and forwards from work, but I won't be using mine as a regular bag.

12boy

Guru
The front bag is great for a lot of weight or things too bulky for a back pack or with corners that would dig in. Packs are ok but if you are riding to work in warmer temps you wind up with a sweaty back which isn't that great.

Kell

Veteran
Horses for courses. I have a shower once I get to work and I have a long enough ride to mean I got sweaty anyway.

I can see them being useful for all the reasons you list above. In fact most of those reasons are what prompted me to get one, but in practice, it just didn't work for me.

OP
OP
doginabag

doginabag

Well I have had it about a week now so long enough to decide whether it's for me or not....................and, i have decided to keep it.

It's a little less convenient, you don't have quite the same grab and go ability as you do with a backpack, however with how busy the trains are I have to wait until the carriage completely empties before I can get my bike and get off so it doesn't make much odds to me.

My biggest concern was the extra wind resistance. It has turned out to not be too bad, generally I have found it isn't really noticeable, with the exception of Thursday when I had Doris blowing in my face!

The S bag would definitely have been enough for me day to day, but I have already found having some spare capacity useful. In fact I am off to Paris for two days at the end of the week and I am seriously considering taking the bike rather than relying on their public transport.

I have also solved the issue of needing to turn the bars 90 degrees to get the bag on and off. I had the brake levers pointing down at a position that was most comfortable, but it only needed them turning a smidgen more and now the bag handle clears with no issue.

U

User10571

Fitted a C bag to my S bars last week, having taken a hacksaw to the handle.
At the weekend I took £339.00-worth of small change (I had no idea I'd accumulated that much:eek:) to the Coinstar machine in the stupormarket and returned with a bag full of (significantly lighter) groceries.
Bag and bike performed both tasks well - Although I think that there comes a point with bag loading that it starts to affect handling adversely.
My next task is to apply a liberal coat of Scotchgard to the bag, as the shower-cap which comes with it hurts my eyes, and is unlikely to ever be deployed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom