C02 inflaters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Never used one, peoples thoughts? recommendations?
Or should I just stick to my old frame fitting pump?
Cheers
Tim

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To save a repetition of many previous massive threads; some people (including me) love them, others hate them with a passion. Some people cannot use them properly or have been let down (boom tish) by them, others have had them for years with no problem at all.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Yep thanks, Kind of thought that I guess. Ill give them a go. Halfords do them for a tenner with a cartridge.
No wish to create a year long thread or blow things out of proportion.

si_c

Guru
I love them, I have one and a couple of cartridges in my saddle bag at all times. I also have a pump on the frame of all my bikes for the same reason I carry a patch kit as well as tubes. The best ones have an adjustable valve so you can control how much gas enters the tube or only use part of a cartridge.

For best usage of a CO2 system you need to inflate the inner tube slightly anyway so that it doesn't pinch under the tyre as it inflates causing an instant snake bite. DAMHIKT.

Edit to add: I'm not a huge fan of those Jetvalve inflaters in Halfords - my Dad has one and it works OKish, but it doesn't thread onto the valve so you have to push it down and this makes it a pain to use effectively, I'd rather use a pump. I've got a couple of inflators from Wiggle which have proven pretty reliable - they both thread onto the valve stem meaning you don't need to hold the inflator onto it so it's easier to get started without losing half the cannister.

As with all things whatever you get practice on it before you leave home a couple of times. There are several websites you can get really cheap CO2 cartridges - I get them from co2cartridges.co.uk - you want the 16g threaded ones a pack of 10 is under a tenner - don't buy the bike specific ones they are massively overpriced.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They're great for emergencies and will get a race tyre harder than a mini-pump. Don't use them for routine inflation - besides being expensive and wasteful, CO2 leaches through rubber very fast and your tyre will be soft within a couple of days.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Be careful - the cannister will literally frost up when you use it. They get remarkably cold. Keep your gloves on, and fingers away!

You can get little neoprene covers that go over the canister to help with this, and they also stop rattles in your saddle bag so worth having. A bit of old inner tube works too - just stretch it over the canister before you put it in your bag and it won't rattle as it hits into things.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have one (bought for Ride London), never used it, rarely get visits away from home and always carry a pump on frame/ in bag anyhow

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Btw, you can get bigger 25g canisters that will do a 32mm touring tyre to 80 psi or a big MTB tyre to 40 psi. A 16g canister won't manage it.

pawl

Legendary Member
I was glad I had one in my saddle pack I was inflating following a puncture with my screw on Layzine pump Unscrewed the hose and the valve came out.CO2 saved the day

Top Bottom