C2C B&Bs booked! Eeek. Scared. Excited. Advice needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jet

Veteran
Soooo my crazy plan to do the coast to coast in August to raise money for Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital is actually a reality because today I managed to book the final B&B!!!!

Eeeeeek! Sorry - just had to share because I'm so excited (and scared)!

I was also wondering - how many miles a week should I be aiming to do in the 2 months before?? Training has started and I'm averaging 50 miles a week on my Specialized Stumpjumper with my nobbly tyres on but I know this isn't going to cut it long term as training for the C2C.

I was also wondering whether a litre water bottle is big enough or whether to invest in a camelback?!?

This is the first long distance riding I've ever undertaken so I really don't know what to expect.
Thx.

Brains

Legendary Member
If you are doing 50 miles a week now, you will be doing more by the summer.
If you can keep up 200 miles a month every month you should be ok

You don't need the camel back, 2 x 750ml bottles will be more than enough
Spend the money on a pie of touring tyres to replace your knobblies

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Spend the money on a pie of touring tyres to replace your knobblies
Brains is hungry. I think he means a pair of pies.^_^

Reactions: Jet
OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
Ok, think I've got this straight now - I just need to fill up on pies and I'm sorted?!
Cool. Thx. ^_^

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Ok, think I've got this straight now - I just need to fill up on pies and I'm sorted?!
Cool. Thx. ^_^

Yep. You've got the idea.

For what it's worth I do 25-30 miles per pie. At the moment I haven't visited pie shops on the C2C but there's a remote chance that I might map them out prior to my own C2C crossing. Click on the link in my signature line to see current exploration progress.

Brains

Legendary Member

Spend the money on a pies and a pair of touring tyres to replace your knobbly knees

Fixed that for you

boybiker

Guru
Train on slower tyres and in more hilly areas than what you will be doing on the ride and it will seem easy ;)

Make sure you have got enough clothing and kit to last you, things like spare batteries for lights etc.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Hi,

Regarding the camelback, I dont like them..they hinder me as I ride. In the states it got so hot I rode with 5 full bottles on th ebike and a camelback at times...but even then I ditched the camelback because it was just so dam irratating, and it leaked.

Sounds like a great ride, not sure I'd like to do it on knobbly tyres on road...but it's totally doable. 50 miles aweek is good...once you start the big ride you will find you build stamina etc as you go along, also you have th entire day to ride so at 10 mph it will only take ten hours to do a hundred....all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the ride at a comfy pace.

You have the accomodation sorted so life on the bike just became a whole lot easier, I'd be looking at making sure I had th eright clothing, gear etc with me, the right route maps and stuff like that...then just keep riding as much as you can prior to the off.

:smile:

Beware that some areas are quite remote and pubs etc are not always open at lunch times

Pie planning is important

The other question is how are your mechanical skills?

Can you mend a puncture, tighten or adjust a derailleur or brake and the basics of maintenance. If not, now is the time to acquire those skills as the P*nct*re Fairy always strikes at somewhere remote, windswept and wet.

Far better to rehearse or learn these skills in a warm garage or at home rather than on a windswept common

Somebuddy

Über Member
Jet, Can I ask where your B&B's are located. i.e. how many miles per day are you planning on doing. I am thinking of doing the C2C, and had looked at a company that does it over 2 days, carries your bags and provides a three course meal at the end of day 1 at the campsite. Or should I do it myself? They provide a bus from Sunderland to Whitehaven, which means I could park my car at the finish ( handy) and have like minded cyclists to chat with enroute.

ste.pearson

Formerly known as stevieP
hi jet sounds like you will be fine how many days you doing it over? ive always done the c2c early or late summer but going over hartside if the weather isnt that good it can be really cold up there a big difference in temp from the start of the climb.i always had plenty of liquids but had a pannier.your doing it in august so if the weather is good you are going to go through a lot of liquids

OP
OP
Jet

Jet

Veteran
Hmm yep I had heard that camelbacks could be awkward - just worried about being able to carry enough liquid without having to stop and refill every time I pass a tap/shop. I have one bottle carrier on my frame but there doesn't seem to be room anywhere else to put another one.

I do have a set of slicks but thought I'd keep my knobblys on to make training harder so that when I come to do the real thing it'll be a doddle :blink:

Funny you should mention technical skills......discovered my pump didn't actually fit my valve when I got a puncture the other week. Doh. Luckily an ex boy scout just happened to be passing by with every bike tool you could ever possibly need and he stopped to help. Sometimes its very useful being a girly!! :girl: :blush:

As far as kit goes I'm trying to find some bar ends or something to go on the ends of my handlebars. Its been a shock to discover that its not my backside thats suffering the most with all the training but my wrists and I've found it more comfortable to be able to hold the ends of the handlebars on speedy flat bits so that my wrists are straight.

I'm hoping it'll be warmer in August so I won't need as many layers as I've been having to wear. So as far as kit to ride in I'm thinking short sleeved cycling top, zip hoody and my bike rain jacket. Will stuff an extra couple of layers in my saddle bag. Am also hoping it'll be warm enough to just pedal in padded shorts! Yeah I know, wishful thinking.

P.H

Über Member
It's a great ride, you'll love it. It's popularity helps as well, all the cafes, pubs, accommodation and other businesses along the route are geared up for cyclists, for some of them it's their main business. The training will make it easier, but you could probably do it now, I did it as my first long ride, before I considered myself a cyclist, my riding consisted of a 5 mile commute now and again and a lot of unfulfilled intentions. It made it hard, and I walked up some of the hills, but it was still very enjoyable. I've been back and done it a couple of times since, and another couple of NCN routes that share the same lanes, it's a lovely part of the country and there's something special about getting from one side to the other.

Reactions: Jet

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi jet
no need to worry just get the miles in the legs and you well be fine 2 bottles would be better but the route has lots of places to refill just knock on doors most ppl fill bottles if asked nicely...^_^august on the high spots (hartside+black hill+crawlyside) might not be warm :laugh: so gloves and leggings might helpfull also beware that some areas are quite remote and pubs etc are not always open at lunch times my garmin info ....poss show the climbing to be done ignore the error on day 1 we all missed the marker at that junction (hidden by long grass)..:whistle: also a must tea stop for all cyclist,s doing the c2c is
http://www.greystokecyclecafe.co.uk/ any info just yell btw you doing crawlyside or the off road bit at rookhope as the route over the moor could be closed to cyclist,s for the shooting (aug 12th the glorious 12) pheasent beware...:laugh: usefull forum http://c2c.freeforums.org/
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188717207
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188717152
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188717099

Top Bottom