C2C cyclepath surface quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Planning on doing the C2C next year on road bikes, but was wondering what the quality of the surface on the C2C cyclepath is like - ie, the majority of this route from Waskerly Way to Sunderland. Would it be OK for 23s on a roadie for example.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8873858.

I've got another two sections for the first couple of days which look OK, but wouldn't mind if someone could cast a cursory glance over them

Day 1
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8854342

Day 2
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8872265

Thanks

Mark

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Its been a few years since I did it, but I would not try and go out of Rookhope off road, go around via Stanhope. For the rest of the Waskerley Way, 23s may be ambitious. Take a look at these pictures to give you a clue - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=w...X&ved=0CC4QsARqFQoTCNzEoIbn2sYCFYe4FAoddZ8IHA

D

Deleted member 23692

A couple for you as far as the Cunbria/Durham Boundary....

Day 1 I'd avoid the off-road part past Whinlatter sumit (mile 22 to 24½) and keep to the black top. - it's a steeper descent on the road but there's a far better chance of keeping you tyres/tubes intact.

Day 2 mile 12½ to 14 - Avoid - it's only just drivable in a good 4x4. Instead, head north at 5 Roads End towards Renwick and then turn R at the T junction to pick up the road heading up to Hartside

Day 2 on leaving Nenthead (mile 27) keep to the A689 (heading eastwards and take the 1 left at the top of the hill to rejoin the route (just past mile 28). The route plotted on your map is a very rough stone track.

The rest is should be OK on 23's

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
"Therefore we do not recommend a road bike for any of the National Cycle Network." Sustrans :excl:

OP
OP
Mark1978

Mark1978

Veteran
A couple for you as far as the Cunbria/Durham Boundary....

Day 1 I'd avoid the off-road part past Whinlatter sumit (mile 22 to 24½) and keep to the black top. - it's a steeper descent on the road but there's a far better chance of keeping you tyres/tubes intact.

Day 2 mile 12½ to 14 - Avoid - it's only just drivable in a good 4x4. Instead, head north at 5 Roads End towards Renwick and then turn R at the T junction to pick up the road heading up to Hartside

Day 2 on leaving Nenthead (mile 27) keep to the A689 (heading eastwards and take the 1 left at the top of the hill to rejoin the route (just past mile 28). The route plotted on your map is a very rough stone track.

The rest is should be OK on 23's

Thanks for that, extremely helpful. Have made the changes. Now to just sort out the last day.

I cycle most of the route in the first link regularly.

I'd definitely approach the Waskerley Way via the roads and Stanhope - if the route as it emerges at the top of the hill above Stanhope, opposite the Waskerley Way entry point from the road, is anything to go by then it's very much not 23mm friendly. I don't think the Waskerley Way is really suitable either; pretty stony and rough at the beginning, though it improves after a couple of kilometres. I carry on to the summit (from where the Waskerley Way starts) then bear right and head down the rather fine road towards Castleside, taking a right near Castelside.Look on a map and you can see where the C2C crosses this and you can rejoin the route on your map.Thereafter it's mostly OK tarmac, with just 2-3 kilometres of hard dirt/stones as you pass Beamish. For quite a while beyond Beamish, it's a really nice surface and quite wide too, though with a fair bit of pedestrian/dog traffic depending on time of day! So that's a 'yes, it is fine' to the question, once you're near Castleside.

and then to hop off it to get past Beamish.
Just to clarify: I don't avoid the bit near Beamish, though I'm using 28mm, tubeless tyres.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
@Mark1978 We regularly ride to and from the caff at Parkhead on 23mm or 25mm tyres from Chester le Street without any dramas. We don't take any detours from the C2C as it's all either tarmac or equivalent, except the section from Beamish to East Stanley. That section isn't paved but it's easily rideable and it's only a couple of miles long. Any detour would be disproportionately long/hilly or on the very busy A693. The surface from Beamish to Roker is all paved.
I've ridden from Rookhope up to Parkhead on 25mm tyres in the dry (don't think I'd have got up in the wet).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The path from Parkhead to Sunderland is ridable on any bike.

A lot of it is asphalt or cinder track, the rest is all hard surfaced.

There are short shaded sections which can have surface mud depending on the weather, but the surface underneath is still sound.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Not sure why you are taking the route you are out of Whitehaven. The Rail-path is surfaced all the way up to Rowrah, and much better graded than Inkerman Terrace that you have chosen on your route. Turn over the bridge at Rowrah, follow the A5086 past the Car dealer andd then take the first right after to rejoin the route while staying on tarmac. Then follow NCN71 as normal to the top of Fangs Brow.

contadino

Veteran
I'm coming to England to cycle in September. Sure, I'm looking forward to the riding, but maybe a bit more I'm looking forward to the place names. Fangs Brow and Rookhope just sound so cool.

Top Bottom