C2C Hadrian's Wall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Thanks Vernon.

Taking your views on a 2 man tent into consideration, would you categorically rule out one of these "Bivi bags"? I'm thinking they may be useful, very light and convenient, have you heard any first hand experiences of them?

Let's set the scene:
You've had a glorious day's ride you are tired and hungry. A weather front closes in and it starts to rain heavily. How are you going to get a comfortable and dry night's sleep with a bivi bag?

After a long break in the night it starts to rain again the next morning before you get out of your bivi bag. How are you going to get dressed and stay dry?

Bivis are fine for fine weather but unfortunately when you've booked out a week for a tour months in advance you don't have the luxury of booking fine weather to go with it.

I will admit to being prejudiced - I like being comfortable and having space to move around. Others have minimilist ideas and get heir kicks out of tarping with a bivi - I like to keep insects and rodents at bay.

I've not seen many positive experiences with bivis recorded - they've been greatly outnumbered by aspirational bivi user accounts which have never been followed by successful bivi accounts - I wonder why
whistling.gif

Danny

Legendary Member
Unless you are in training to join a survivalist cult I would listen to Vernon's advice about the bivi bag idea. When you've been cycling all day you really want to be warm and dry during the night.

If you are really worried about weight I'd go for a one person tent rather than a bivi bag - though as others have pointed out it is a lot more comfortable in a bigger tent.

OP
OP
B

Beedee

Thanks, all advice will be assimilated. Don't really want to splash out on expensive gear all in one go, and before I've had a taster on the c2c.

Could maybe think about purchasing a trailer, as watched a posted video on here and they looked pretty cool, more research first though. Would imagine people will say they're hard work uphill, but I'll be in no hurry and would push up if required.

billflat12

Veteran
If You use a trailer on the hadrians wall route you will struggle to negotiate the many motorcycle barriers, specifically around the newcastle area.
You would gain more benefits buying a 2 man tent instead, Bike looks ok but i would discard or lock-out them suspension forks.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Thanks, all advice will be assimilated. Don't really want to splash out on expensive gear all in one go, and before I've had a taster on the c2c.

Could maybe think about purchasing a trailer, as watched a posted video on here and they looked pretty cool, more research first though. Would imagine people will say they're hard work uphill, but I'll be in no hurry and would push up if required.

Trailers look pretty cool and some folk swear by them. Take this into account before taking the plunge:

• Trailers can be more expensive than panniers.
  • The handling of your bike can be affected.
  • Some Sustrans routes are punctuated with barriers which can not be navigated by bike and trailer together. It's unhitch - cross barrier - re-hitch and ride. A previous poster has mentioned this as a feature on the Hadrian's Cycle Route - it's also a prominent feature on the Taff Trail in Wales and, if I remember correctly on the C2C.
  • You might have some difficulties getting onto some trains with a bike and trailer. Some guards/conductors can be accommodating but can you afford to gamble on not getting 'Mr Grumpypants' who will not let you on the train?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
if you're reluctant to over spend on kit... I can recommend this tent... not the lightest 2 man tent but light enough, good small pack size, easy to put up and best of all... two doors so you can get a nice through draft with your shade on those hot summer mornings.

edit.. it think it's cheaper on amazon :smile:

Gotte

If you're looking for a really lightweight and relatively cheap tent:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/lightent-3246909/

I've got one, and it's not the biggest tent in the world, but it's double skinned, which is much better than single skinned ones, and it's good and light and packs really small.

I've got another tent, a more expensive though bigger and 500g heavier tent, a North Ridge Tadpole. It's got a good porch area for storage and is free standing, which can be a boon, but with three poles it takes longer to pitch, and packs bigger - though that's mainly because the poles are longer.

Top Bottom