C2C Hadrian's Wall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beedee

Hi, looking for a little bit of advice.

I'm not a seasoned bike rider, more an enthusiastic leisure rider, but I'm aiming during this coming summer to ride the coast to coast Hadrian's Wall route. Setting out from Sunderland I intend to travel the norml C2C to Whitehaven then return by the Wall route.

I'm unsure whether I should look at accommodation en route, or buy a one man tent. A tent would give me entire independence and seems like a good idea sitting in my warm flat. But how is it in reality? Can it turn into a thoroughly miserable experience with bad weather, or even with good weather? I'm in my mid fifties, could and would I wake up as stiff as an old dog?

Anybody actually experienced this scenario good or bad?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi, looking for a little bit of advice.

I'm not a seasoned bike rider, more an enthusiastic leisure rider, but I'm aiming during this coming summer to ride the coast to coast Hadrian's Wall route. Setting out from Sunderland I intend to travel the norml C2C to Whitehaven then return by the Wall route.

I'm unsure whether I should look at accommodation en route, or buy a one man tent. A tent would give me entire independence and seems like a good idea sitting in my warm flat. But how is it in reality? Can it turn into a thoroughly miserable experience with bad weather, or even with good weather? I'm in my mid fifties, could and would I wake up as stiff as an old dog?

Anybody actually experienced this scenario good or bad?

First things first - get a two man tent. One man tents are a bit cramped.
I started cycle touring with a tent in 2003 at forty five and have done C2C, Walney to Wear, Hadrians, Lon Las Cymru, Coast and Castles, Channel to the Med. Eurovelo 6 from Nantes to Beaune (twice). I have only spent one night indoors which was in Herefordshire the night after Boscastle was flooded. The ferocity of the rain was such that I was not prepared to leave the bus shelter that I took refuge in and cross to road to the pub that had fine ales and food on offer. Once the rain abated, I went into the pub and the locals insisted that I stayed in a local B&B as they reckoned the camp sites would be awash,

I've sat out a few heavy downpours in tents and providing one doesn't have a rigid timetable losing an hour or two is no big deal.

An essential part of the comfort equation is a a decent sleeping mat. Some folk are happy with the closed cell mats but a transformation for my sleep quality was a self inflating mat. Mine has served me well for the past six years. A half decent sleeping bag will help with the sleep too.

There's a whole host of other things to consider such as whether or not you intend to cook on tour or eat at pubs and whether or not you want to be able to make hot drinks.

For what it's worth I have a Trangia meths stove and wouldn't have any other.

Of course you'll be looking at purchasing pannier bags and a pannier rack. Others, no doubt, will chip in with advice on racks and panniers.

I use Altura panniers and a Blackburn rack and have been very satisfied with their performance. I have a set of Carradice panniers too though they have yet to be used.

Have a trawl through the touring thread and pay a visit to the ctc.org.uk site and have a read of the touring forum there. You'll get a good idea of what you need to ask next by digesting the answers to other beginners' questions.

Cycle camping is very enjoyable and I look forward to my jaunts every spring and summer. It's a liberating experience and put you in closer contact with the environment than almost any other form of touring apart from hiking. You'll have challenges along the way and you'll be surprised by the friendliness and kindness of your fellow human beings whenever you have a problem and even when you don't have a problem.

Go for it. You'll love it.

RQbiker

I like the idea of camping capability - it will give maximum flexibility. And flexibility is the name of the game. Q? Why are you fixed on beginning at Sunderland on a certain date. It could be that the first three days weather favours a west coast start. Why not delay the decision on the start point?

May I suggest a mini detour to the Tyne cycle tunnel. It's a bit of fun if you've never done it before. There is a major refurb going on at present but it's useable.

ps I am not a fan of Trangia stoves.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'd second Vernon's advice to get a two man tent. It's so much better if you're confined to your tent in bad weather.

Don't be over optimistic with the distances you can do each day if you've not ridden a loaded bike before or done back-to-back days. If you can normally do 60 miles unloaded I'd aim for around 40 miles a day loaded. That will give you time to look around as well. Have fun!

OP
OP
B

Beedee

Thanks for very interesting and informative replies lads.

Vernon, your enthusiasm is inspirational and I'll be taking in and researching your advice. One thing that would maybe worry me, being by myself in a wild and lonely place with a werewolf prowling about outside :ohmy: . Or, during the decent months would there always be fellow campers about and safety in numbers? Also, do people, bike campers congregate anywhere they can pitch a tent and not nescessarily in a camping site?

RQbiker, I live in Sunderland, within spitting distance from part of the c2c track.

Helen, bikepacker, is the difference in weight neglible between a one & two man tent? Also, have you any experience or heard any first hand reviews about these new "Bivy Bags" concerning the advantages/disadvantages?

e-rider

crappy member
I tried cycling with tent and stove etc. The bike was so heavy that I broke 2 spokes in the first 50 miles.

If you decide to take the tent option buy the lightest kit you can afford and make sure you have a very strong rear wheel

e-rider

crappy member
the issue with a well loaded pannier rack (ie. tent stove and all the rest of your kit) is twofold.

1. the rack itself (the decent stainless steel ones are much stronger then Alu but cost more too; although a good Alu one should be OK)
2. the rear wheel

The wheel in your bike looks similar to what I tried using ie. a standard 32h mtb wheel factory built by a machine. If you load it with a lot of weight I'd guess that you'll have problems with the spokes breaking.

As a general rule, it makes sense not to load the rack (2 panniers plus stuff on top) to much more than 10kg. More than 13kg will not only be a problem for the rack (they often break at the welds) and rear wheel (spokes) but it will make cycling very hard work and on some of the C2C 'tracks' it could be a nightmare (as far as I know about 50% of C2C in NOT on smooth roads).

Make sure the bolts you use to attach the rack to the bike are high quality stainless steel

The key is to pack light (which I've discovered generally means not taking a tent etc!)

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Vernon, your enthusiasm is inspirational and I'll be taking in and researching your advice. One thing that would maybe worry me, being by myself in a wild and lonely place with a werewolf prowling about outside :ohmy: . Or, during the decent months would there always be fellow campers about and safety in numbers? Also, do people, bike campers congregate anywhere they can pitch a tent and not nescessarily in a camping site?

Try camping where there are bears, cougars and rattle snakes! You learn to forget about it.

vernon

I tried cycling with tent and stove etc. The bike was so heavy that I broke 2 spokes in the first 50 miles.

If you decide to take the tent option buy the lightest kit you can afford and make sure you have a very strong rear wheel

You don't need a very strong rear wheel just a well built one.

I speak from the experience of being a 23 stone rider who doesn't focus on the weight of kit as the primary reason for purchase.

The only time that weight rears its head is when there's lots of hills to pedal up. Even so, I was only defeated once on my Lands's End to John O'Groats ride and was undefeated on the return leg the year after.

vernon

Thanks for very interesting and informative replies lads.

RQbiker, I live in Sunderland, within spitting distance from part of the c2c track.

Helen, bikepacker, is the difference in weight neglible between a one & two man tent? Also, have you any experience or heard any first hand reviews about these new "Bivy Bags" concerning the advantages/disadvantages?

I once wild camped on Exmoor after making my escape from a pub that was so weird it was untrue - very atmospheric and similar to American Werewolves in London in ambience. Only the next morning did I remember the Exmoor beast.....

You don't need to worry about safety in numbers when wild camping. A well chosen secluded spot will put you out of sight. I've camped on the other side of a dry stone wall with an adjacent road knowing that the drivers of cars going past would not have any idea that I was there. Arrive at dusk and leave at dawn will lessen the opportunities to be spotted. There are no designated spots in England for wild camping.

In Scotland I've used picnic areas and spots where I have seen a few tents already pitched - land access is not a problem there.

vernon

Hi Tundra. I've got this bike: http://besthybridbik...n-bike-17-frame

Cost about £300 new, what you think, strong enough?

Your bike will do the job.

My first cycle camping tour (A C2C) was done with a 12 speed road bike with a rack attached using suitable bodging techniques. It was much less robust in construction but it did the distance with no problems.

Your bike is more than strong enough, has a suitable range of gears and will do the job OK. If the front forks can have the suspension locked out, so much the better. I'd also advise that you fit slick tyres to reduce the rolling resistance of the bike which will make pedalling much less tiring.

I'd also try to fit some mudguards/ crud catchers as they will keep a lot of road goo off you in inclement weaher.

OP
OP
B

Beedee

Thanks Vernon.

Think I will do the c2c first and see how I get on, with the bare essentials on my rack and maybe stay in one or two B&Bs. The bike in link is not mine, just the same model. I already have intermediate tyres fitted and can re-attach my mudguards, it's nearly 6 years old but has very low mileage as was used for Sunday best.

Not really bothered by "drivers of cars" as how many werewolves do you see driving a car? :biggrin: . I've been exagerating a little bit, I'm not unduly worried about camping in the dead of night really, especially on a non full moon night.

Taking your views on a 2 man tent into consideration, would you categorically rule out one of these "Bivi bags"? I'm thinking they may be useful, very light and convenient, have you heard any first hand experiences of them?

b0404

Been C2C on a number of routes including Hadrians Wall stopped at the Bailey Mill Newcastleton very reasonable accommodation, food and hospitality.

Top Bottom