C2C whitehaven to Tynemouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weely

Doing this in about a months time over 3 days. I feel quite capable as I commute 5 days a week (80 miles)

BUT........

Can anyone tell me what I should be taking/ carrying ? i.e. clothing, spares, food/snacks/fluids, tools ect.

Mozzy head net?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I did this a couple of years back & carried too much gear.
Depends on your budget/plans. I ate out on an evening, so no need to carry too much food, just a few bananas & flapjack, but you can buy these on an evening too, so dont carry too much. Carried 2 litres of fluids & that was enough for most days, but refils are available en-route as you pass plenty of shops & cafes :tongue:
Change of clothes for an evening, make sure it's something light :becool:
Tools & equipment. Again you dont want to be carrying an excessive weight, so i'd stick to a couple of inner tubes, tyre levers & a multitool.

The hills on this route can be quite difficult, especially with a fully laden bike. Try loading your bike up sometime before you go & go for a ride, taking in some hills :wacko:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there, I did the C2C a couple of years back and I travelled as light as possible. A change of clothes for the evening and my cycling gear. Basic tools and Puncture repair kit with two spare tubes. There are a couple of really big hills on the route. Hartside is one of them, but there is a very good cafe at the top. The other is from the town of Stanhope towards Waskerley. It is well worth doing the ride.:sad:

rob1987s

im doing the c2c ride whitehaven to tynemouth may 27th over 3 days, did u do the hassle free package and how much did it cost u?

BigTam

Über Member
12 of us from work are doing the Reivers route, Whitehaven to Tynemouth, over 3 days from the 18th May, will be carrying as little as possible, change of clothing, basic tools and tubes, ours is defo the hassle free package, no support and minimal cost :rolleyes:

BigTam

Über Member
Doing this in about a months time over 3 days. I feel quite capable as I commute 5 days a week (80 miles)

BUT........

Can anyone tell me what I should be taking/ carrying ? i.e. clothing, spares, food/snacks/fluids, tools ect.

Mozzy head net?

Which route are you taking ?
There are a few options. NCN 10 and a combination of NCN 7, 14 and 71.

PK99

Legendary Member

BUT........

Mozzy head net?

Use one of the firms who ferry bags between hotels!

Take good waterproofs!

There are some long stretches where there is no where to restock so take plenty of water and energy food.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I did it 3 weeks ago over 2 days - and am doing the Way of the Roses in 2 weeks' time. In the two panniers I took:

- One set of clothing
- Three base layers, 2 shirts (L/S & S/S)
- Waterproofs
- Pair of longs
- 2 pairs of shorts (under the longs)
- 3 inner tubes
- 1 spare tyre (folding)
- some minor tools
- bits of food; pack of cereal bars, pack of mini malt-loaves, pack of Jelly Babies
- 2 empty water bottles

The only other thing was a big lock -which I didn't use and regret taking.

stevevw

Guru
6 of us did it last year over 2 days. with the overnight stop at Allensheads. The first day was very hard work we had to pedal down most descents as the wind was so strong. We used the Bike bus to take us from Allensheads to Whitehaven and again at the other end back to Allensheads, so did not have to carry much in the way of spares and no civvies clothing. As you are from Newcastle could you not drop your kit off at the overnight stops before hand? Then you will only need your usual day ride parts and probably a waterproof.
I am thinking of doing it in a day next year as part of my LEL training. and will be carrying what I think I will be carrying on LEL
Good luck with your ride and I hope you get a tail wind and not a 50mph headwind.

BigTam

Über Member
Just completed the Reivers route over 3 days, from West to East, Whitehaven to Tynemouth,some big climbs and the section from the Borders, near Newcastleton (13 miles off road), to Kielder water, tough going, the track was impassable in the middle, ended up wading through a peat bog, carrying my bike with all my gear on it, really enjoyed it but was physically draining.

Did the Hardian's route last year from Ravenglass to Tynemouth, piece of cake in comparison.

carolonabike

Hi Weely,
I did the C2C last year with some friends. We used the Sherpa Van Project to transport our baggage over 3 days. I can highly recommend them and it wasn't very expensive, about £45 and worth every penny.This meant we just needed to carry enough for the day and it's nice to know if you get a real good drenching (which we did, twice) that dry clothes are waiting for you at your destination.
Speaking of which, don't forget a waterproof jacket, the chances are it will rain at some point and also up on the moors, Hartside and on to Allenheads it can be cold, even on a warm day so a light pair of gloves may also come in handy.
We did it on road bikes and had no punctures but we may have been lucky, I carried a puncture repair kit and two spare tubes and a multi tool. (Another advantage of using Sherpa Van was that we could take a track pump).

Top Bottom