C2W Scheme - Proof of 50% worth of commuting??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Those pesky people that contribute into a pension scheme and get tax relief. Feckin thieves the lot of em.:rolleyes:

Child care vouchers - bleedin people who have these suck the life out of everyone.:rolleyes:

Peteaud

Veteran
I think at this point i would like to add you can buy a helmet on C2W as well. :evil:

PK99

Legendary Member
The whole premise of the C2W scheme is to get more people on bikes. It does that.

'Nuff said.

The whole premise of the film industry tax relief was to increase film production in the UK and thereby increase economic activity, taxation revenue and cultural benefits

It does that. Nuff said?

And therefore the abuse of the system to create tax losses but no films is ok?

400bhp

Guru
O
How do you know? If someone has one bike and gets another, they might lend one of them to someone else.

And frankly, if it encourages people to ride more - even if it's the same person riding more frequently, then it has done what it was intended to do.
Or they might simply be more inclined to cycle.

No Vat on food. Outragous:rolleyes:

jarlrmai

Veteran
It can contribute a bit, I have 2 bikes my old C2W road bike which I no longer ride to work as I've gone from a 20 mile commute to a 2 mile commute and my cheap single speed which I now ride to work (I didn't buy the SS on C2W) without the SS i'd be walking. I ride the the road bike on club runs and solo evening rides now.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
never used the c2w scheme.. so just how much do you save from a 1000 bike over the 18 month
Your payments for the bike are taken as a salary sacrifice which means they come off your gross pay before deductions, so you will save on your tax payments 20% or 40% depending on your earnings & also save on NI payments which I believe are approx 9%. But at the end of the scheme you should have to pay a final value fee, but if your bike is used every day, never serviced & in poor condition this payment will be low :thumbsup:
Your overall saving can be around 50% if you are a higher rate tax payer & 30% if you are on lower rate tax

broadway

Veteran
But at the end of the scheme you should have to pay a final value fee, but if your bike is used every day, never serviced & in poor condition this payment will be low :thumbsup:

HMRC have decided standard % for residual values according to age so condition is irrelevant for the major schemes involved. It would be down to you to argue your case with HRMC.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
HMRC have decided standard % for residual values according to age so condition is irrelevant for the major schemes involved. It would be down to you to argue your case with HRMC.
Yup, Cyclescheme just says 'it cost this much new, it's worth this much now' I don't know if there is an option to say 'but it's crap now' although part of the sign up is that you agree to keep it in good condition because you don't actually own it at that point.

PK99

Legendary Member
It can contribute a bit, I have 2 bikes my old C2W road bike which I no longer ride to work as I've gone from a 20 mile commute to a 2 mile commute and my cheap single speed which I now ride to work (I didn't buy the SS on C2W) without the SS i'd be walking. I ride the the road bike on club runs and solo evening rides now.

nothing wrong with that at all, and there would have been nothing wrong in getting the SS on C2W,
but if you were to get a C2W bike specifically to use on your club runs and leisure riding that would be stealing from your fellow citizens.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Though there are other options such as the Cyclescheme workaround where they give you an extended hire period for a nominal fee and then convert that fee into the final payment at the end of that period (just happened with my C2W bike.

I'm not as vitriolic about it as some on here, but I do believe that for the period of the C2W scheme, the bike should be riden primarily as your commuting bike. My tourer was, and I haven't gone for another bike on C2W since then as I switched to riding my (self funded) singlespeed for commuting so didn't need one.

Measurement is difficult though, as which is more sensible, the rider who rides all year as a commuter and utility cyclist but with trips to shops, etc, comes out at 45% of journeys being commuting, or the rider who buys a bike, rides it once to work and then puts it in the garage for the rest of the year and goes back to driving? Under the guidelines the latter is acting correctly and the former is not.

PK99

Legendary Member
Though there are other options such as the Cyclescheme workaround where they give you an extended hire period for a nominal fee and then convert that fee into the final payment at the end of that period (just happened with my C2W bike.

I'm not as vitriolic about it as some on here, but I do believe that for the period of the C2W scheme, the bike should be riden primarily as your commuting bike. My tourer was, and I haven't gone for another bike on C2W since then as I switched to riding my (self funded) singlespeed for commuting so didn't need one.

Measurement is difficult though, as which is more sensible, the rider who rides all year as a commuter and utility cyclist but with trips to shops, etc, comes out at 45% of journeys being commuting, or the rider who buys a bike, rides it once to work and then puts it in the garage for the rest of the year and goes back to driving? Under the guidelines the latter is acting correctly and the former is not.

It is not those sorts of distinctions that are the issue, it is the keen cyclist with a stable of bikes who already commutes by bike to work who gets a Ribble winter training bike on the scheme (real example of someone who was in my club). that is, clear and simple, stealing from your fellow citizens.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
It is not those sorts of distinctions that are the issue, it is the keen cyclist with a stable of bikes who already commutes by bike to work who gets a Ribble winter training bike on the scheme (real example of someone who was in my club). that is, clear and simple, stealing from your fellow citizens.
I hope you tut at them loudly every time you walk past them.

I say again, what would the cost be to police the system so that person couldn't 'get away with it'? I believe it would be more than the savings you got by stopping them.

Top Bottom