Cabbie chases down hit-and-runner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I actually can't watch anymore of these. I think it is actually making me an angry cyclist. I want to be a happy, forgiving cyclist.

Too late for me. Not forgiving any more, and nor will I commute by bike. This shows what folk are like. Don't give a monkey.

Good one on the cabbie.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Too late for me. Not forgiving any more, and nor will I commute by bike. This shows what folk are like. Don't give a monkey.

Good one on the cabbie.

Well I had another confrontation last week, car decided the single car width road was OK to overtake on, I was close enough to thump the side of the car, driver slowed and had a go at me, that's right at me - I was minding my own business, nearly get taken out, and I am in the wrong.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The cabbie was absolutely not a vigilante

.He chased the culprit and apprehended him for the police to deal with.

Comes across to me as a decent and brave man .

I have reservations. Of course, I applaud someone coming to the cyclist's support. But I have strong reservations about condoning any motorist, taxis perhaps especially given their reputation even under normal conditions, seeing themselves as vigilantes and using their vehicle as a tool to that end.
I didn't see him as a vigilante, was pretty calm in the circumstances, he could have even placed the driver under a citizens arrest till the police arrived.

ThompsonCrowley

Wow, that's pretty extreme. I'm not sure how safe it was for him to do that, but it was nice to see a cabbie (or anyone) showing such concern, as
@redvision95 said. A friend of mine was a victim of a hit run in London a couple of months ago and when they eventually found the culprit none of the witnesses would come forward.

markharry66

Über Member
I agree he did a good thing just wonder though driving like that through a built up area if its safe to do so at speed like that.

swansonj

Guru
I agree he did a good thing just wonder though driving like that through a built up area if its safe to do so at speed like that.
Yes. That was the point I tried to make that several people disagreed with, possibly because my use of the word "vigilante" was unhelpful. But he stopped using his motor vehicle as a means of transport and started using it as a tool (if I was still being emotive I could say "weapon") to impose his will on another road user. I submit we cyclists ought to be very very cautious of supporting someone seeing a motor vehicle as a legitimate instrument for imposing their will on someone else, whatever the circumstances.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Gawd almighty, you and Markharry66 think too much. This forum is full of people anxious to demonstrate their impeccable PC credentials but that's taking it too far. The bloke was concerned and aggrieved that the driver drove off so he did the decent thing; he's an experienced driver; he overtook two cyclists safely and stopped the hit and runner effectively and safely. Do you worry that when driving your car you might accidentally squash some flies on the windscreen?

*wanders off to pub shaking head in exasperation*

to impose his will on another road user
If mugger knocked down a old woman in the street in an attempted robbery, would you really criticise someone who brought the assailant down as "imposing his will on another person". If not, what's the difference here?

All it takes for Evil to prevail in this world is for enough good men to do nothing.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

If the cabbie's not allowed to view the footage who pixelated the car reg?

I have a permanent fixed NOVUS camera which records the inside of the Cab and the front for insurance reasons answer security but I don't have the operators licence to view it only the insurance company can

So he can't view the footage he uploaded to youtube?

swansonj

Guru
If mugger knocked down a old woman in the street in an attempted robbery, would you really criticise someone who brought the assailant down as "imposing his will on another person". If not, what's the difference here?

All it takes for Evil to prevail in this world is for enough good men to do nothing.
The difference lies in the means used to achieve it (as was, I think, fairly clear from the whole of my post rather than the six words you quoted from the last line). As in, using a deadly weapon in a public space, a deadly weapon that already kills and injures too many of us even before we condone using it as an instrument of force.

Top Bottom