Cabbies banned from the Games Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

So what do we think?

Whilst I'm not convinced the lanes are necessary, I think that they're being a bit unreasonable to be honest. The core argument seems to be "we're moving people about" but so does any other form of traffic, most of which can't use the lanes either.

Of course, cyclists can, so maybe I'm the one being unreasonable...

If a few spectators are late due to traffic it won't make much difference but if the people trying to run the event are late because they are stuck in a queue of taxis it will make a big difference to both the Games and the thousands of spectators who have tunred out to see them.

As for need see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18984862. Would you want to be going to one of the most important events of your competitive career and be worring about whether you have left early enough or are going to get there in time?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
So what do we think?

Whilst I'm not convinced the lanes are necessary, I think that they're being a bit unreasonable to be honest. The core argument seems to be "we're moving people about" but so does any other form of traffic, most of which can't use the lanes either.

Of course, cyclists can, so maybe I'm the one being unreasonable...

Nope - if the lane is marked as Olympic Family use, I don't believe we can. The fine of £130 applies to cyclists too, as I understand it.

Edit: Okay, so it's only games lanes that are not next to the nearside, that we cannot use. So offside games lanes = fine and nearside = ok :wacko:

http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/things-you-should-know/cyclists.html

*Cross-posted my edit with subaqua*

subaqua

What’s the point
Nope - if the lane is marked as Olympic Family use, I don't believe we can. The fine of £130 applies to cyclists too, as I understand it.
if the lane is a nearside one , it can be used. if the lane is an offside one ( closest to the centre of the road) then cyclists cannot use it ( in theory ;) ) it hasn't stopped me so far along the A11 approaching Stratford

Keith Oates

Janner
A lot of time and money has gone into getting the games organised as a major sporting event and showcase for the UK, therefore I consider that giving the games official traffic priority when moving athletes and officials around London during this time is necessary.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I thought the athletes had a village on site to live in? Why do they need to be ferried around London?

(Seriously, I don't get it, what am I missing?)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, right. I thought the point of an Olympic Park was to have everything close at hand...

I suppose it's a bit small-town of me to suggest just leaving plenty of time for the journey? I suppose living in city you can walk clean across in half an hour has spoilt me....:blush:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I assume all of the athletes are staying in Stratford but if that's the case then some have a fairly long 'commute'. Eg. the rowers, having to get out to Eton / Dorney, which is some 36 miles away. Not sure if that's going to be the case, mind you.

If they're sensible they will be based way out west, so perhaps it was an unrealistic example. Just to illustrate that the venues are not all close by. Tennis in Wimbledon SW19, Footie in Wembley NW (something). All over the gaff!!

martint235

Dog on a bike
We can't afford another Atlanta where athletes missed their events because of being stuck in traffic. These people have trained for 4 years for this two weeks and so we should make it as easy as possible for them to get to their events.

That said, Seb Coe, Jacques Rogge and the bunch of hanging on, freeloading parasites* that make up most of the rest of the Olympic Family should have to get the Tube like everyone else.

*I'm obviously not including the people that actually do stuff to make the event happen in this.

asterix

Comrade Member
After the Great Fire of London there was carte blanche to produce a city with a street plan fit for the 21st century. Christopher Wren designed an excellent one.

For some reason conservatism prevailed and they put everything back where it was before! What a shame.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The games lanes will be largely, as in far and away, used by so-called VIP's, corporate sponsors, and blazer wearing olympic committee types who are staying in central london hotels. Competitors will hardly see them.

We can't afford another Atlanta where athletes missed their events because of being stuck in traffic. These people have trained for 4 years for this two weeks and so we should make it as easy as possible for them to get to their events.

That said, Seb Coe, Jacques Rogge and the bunch of hanging on, freeloading parasites* that make up most of the rest of the Olympic Family should have to get the Tube like everyone else.

*I'm obviously not including the people that actually do stuff to make the event happen in this.

So you think Coe & Co haven't worked hard over the past four and more years to make this event happen and be a success? Since they were "freeloading parasites" the Games must have just spontaneously happened. And having pulled it all together do you not think they will have a very tight schedule making sure it runs on smoothly, meeting all the overseas visitors and organisers etc and even encouraging the Brazilians to buy the skills that have been developed here in building and running an Olympics in a major city which would result in much needed help for our exports to countries that are not in the Euroshambles?

Top Bottom