Cabbies banned from the Games Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A lot of time and money has gone into getting the games organised as a major sporting event and showcase for the UK, therefore I consider that giving the games official traffic priority when moving athletes and officials around London during this time is necessary.
yup - that's what they built the Javelin for. the Games lanes are, as Greg suggests, about the bigwigs. They could take the Javelin, take the tube or take the bus.

subaqua

What’s the point
yup - that's what they built the Javelin for. the Games lanes are, as Greg suggests, about the bigwigs. They could take the Javelin, take the tube or take the bus.
if the driver doesn't ring in sick

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
At least when the French farmers blockade Calais again for the start of the summer holidays, it'll have no impact whatsoever.

martint235

Dog on a bike
So you think Coe & Co haven't worked hard over the past four and more years to make this event happen and be a success? Since they were "freeloading parasites" the Games must have just spontaneously happened. And having pulled it all together do you not think they will have a very tight schedule making sure it runs on smoothly, meeting all the overseas visitors and organisers etc and even encouraging the Brazilians to buy the skills that have been developed here in building and running an Olympics in a major city which would result in much needed help for our exports to countries that are not in the Euroshambles?
Do you think they've worked hard? Seriously? Or have a couple of hundred people working for them suffered sleepless nights trying to ensure that this goes without a hitch. Some of my colleagues are now operating 24/7 rotas to help make sure it goes smoothly. Coe et al who will use the lanes have done bugger all but lend their name to something.

Do you think they've worked hard? Seriously? Or have a couple of hundred people working for them suffered sleepless nights trying to ensure that this goes without a hitch. Some of my colleagues are now operating 24/7 rotas to help make sure it goes smoothly. Coe et al who will use the lanes have done bugger all but lend their name to something.

Well if that's what you beleive there is no point trying to convince you otherwise. I'm sure your friends did it all by themselves from the bid to the building to the running of the event. Of course something this trivial doesn't need anyone in charge and those that are just phone in occassionaly from their yachts to check the proles still have their noses to the grindstones.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok one of the people travelling from central London to the stadium via a Games Lane tonight will be the marketing director of Coca-Cola. First can he not use a tube or even a limo if he likes but in traffic like everyone else? Second what has he actually done to make the games a success?

You're talking corporate b*****s and you know it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Rights and wrongs aside (of who uses the lanes and why)...why should cabbies have access to them ?
We had this in peterborough some years ago with bus only lanes. The whole idea was to encourage people to use public transport. No doubt the taxi lobby won the right to use the lanes, and what a load of bollix that made of it all...99% of the time a cab carries one . ..ONE, passenger. So WTF was the point anyway.
Keep the cabs out of the lanes.

I thought the athletes had a village on site to live in? Why do they need to be ferried around London?

(Seriously, I don't get it, what am I missing?)

Probably, in all honesty, a poor justification for stupid 'games lanes' designed to get corporate friends of Seb Coe and Co. to the Olympics as fast as possible, whilst ordinary Londoners and those like the cabbies, trying to make a living, are made to suffer the distinction of being 2nd class citizens.

sheddy

Legendary Member
In order to win the bid Lord Company etc promised the IOC that they would be put up near theatreland.
Logically they should have been billeted at Canary Wharf but that would have been no fun.

1971542 said:
So after the first half of the Olympics who have you had in the back of your cab? The vital and worthy or freeloading parasites?

I'm not going to give you names but very much the vital and worthy who have worked very hard to put the Games together and are continuing to work hard during the Games - they are typically doing 14-16 hour days seven days a week. And I have very rarely been driving past a queue of traffic next to the Olympics lanes. It all seems to be flowing rather better than normal.

martint235

Dog on a bike
These 14-16 hour days, does that include dinner?

Lower down in the Olympic support, 14-16 hours days are normal but without a lunch break let alone a paid for dinner.

Top Bottom