cable pull disc brakes issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Thanks again ^_^
To be honest I know this would be considered general maintenance but I thought these disc brakes were the all new marvellous invention that solved all problems - at the minute they seem a bit of a faff - if I was in the middle of nowhere and got a splash of diesel in there then I kiss goodbye to braking - not ideal

si_c

Guru
Thanks again ^_^
To be honest I know this would be considered general maintenance but I thought these disc brakes were the all new marvellous invention that solved all problems - at the minute they seem a bit of a faff - if I was in the middle of nowhere and got a splash of diesel in there then I kiss goodbye to braking - not ideal
I know happened to me too, not since though, I avoid diesel patches like the plague.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks again ^_^
After many thousands of miles ridden with disc brakes over the years, this has never happened. You are worrying a little too much. Don't. Just ride your bike and enjoy.

Nibor

Bewildered
I had the same issue on my bike running full length outers and changed from standard to compressionless outer and it was like night and day the difference.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
On my hybrid, only once in 18,000 miles have I had to bin a set of pads prematurely due to 'inexplicable' loss reduction of effectiveness that couldn't be recovered. All the other sets have gone down to the metal (and I mean metal)! It is a very rare event for contamination to come from the road, I suppose it takes a certain set of conditions for it to happen, either the first splash on dry pads that then soaks in or the final splash before putting the bike away that then dries ad soaks in. Anything else will just get splashed on already wet pads and then washed away by the following rain and road spray?

si_c

Guru
On my hybrid, only once in 18,000 miles have I had to bin a set of pads prematurely due to 'inexplicable' loss reduction of effectiveness that couldn't be recovered. All the other sets have gone down to the metal (and I mean metal)! It is a very rare event for contamination to come from the road, I suppose it takes a certain set of conditions for it to happen, either the first splash on dry pads that then soaks in or the final splash before putting the bike away that then dries ad soaks in. Anything else will just get splashed on already wet pads and then washed away by the following rain and road spray?
Aye, that's what happened to me, I was on a very wet ride into town to get a train, and had to ride through a lot of standing water. Then hopped on the train with the bike for a couple of hours, by the time I got to the other end the rear brake was no longer working.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have two bikes with Avid BB7s. Amazing on my tourer. PITA on my cargo bike.

I have just taken them apart and given them a good clean up and oiled any moving parts. I have binned the organic pads which are nice when new, but soon degrade and coat nearby parts in gunge. I live at the top of a hill and these pads work hard. So I’ve cleaned up an old but good set of sintered pads, trued any discrepancies on the rotor and offered a gift to the disc brake Gods and Goddesses.

I had run out of disk brake cleaner, so I’m giving meths a go. Doesn’t evaporate that quickly but hopefully there isn’t a film left behind.

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I did try meths but that didn’t seem to do anything to help matters
Got some pads ordered

Top Bottom