Cable retainer on down tube sheared off!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
cycling to work this morning the cable retainer on my '06 orbea enol sheared off from the left hand side (front mech cable) on the down tube. one of the rivets seems to be too short to go all the way through the tube wall. i have taken it back to the LBS where i brought it 2 years ago, the orbea frames have a life time warranty. they are going to contact orbea tomorrow and send a picture of the problem and i have to wait to see what they say.

has anyone else had a similar problem? what was the outcome? the guy at the LBS was fairly optimistic that it would be sorted either by repair or replacement.

Windy

P.S. on the plus side it does mean that i will be forced to use my good bike for the commute tomorrow:biggrin::biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
I had adjusters rust in place - drilled them out and retapped the threads, but they didn't shear right off.

just got an update from my LBS:

Orbea will replace the frame however the frame i have Orbea don't currently have any that haven't already been made up to complete bikes..... So i get the next model up:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

now the question is: This bike has been my get to work bike after buying a Thorn cyclosportif last year; do i get some of the components upgraded to reflect the improved frame. The frame is the Orbea Dauphine, if i just swap over i put Sora components on to it with cheap shimano hubs and mavic CP22 rims.

How much is it reasonable to spend, the enol i brought was under £500 the Dauphine with 105 components is just under £1000, what would i be best to spend my money on?

Windy

Dave5N

Über Member
WindyRob said:
just got an update from my LBS:

Orbea will replace the frame however the frame i have Orbea don't currently have any that haven't already been made up to complete bikes..... So i get the next model up:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

now the question is: This bike has been my get to work bike after buying a Thorn cyclosportif last year; do i get some of the components upgraded to reflect the improved frame. The frame is the Orbea Dauphine, if i just swap over i put Sora components on to it with cheap shimano hubs and mavic CP22 rims.

How much is it reasonable to spend, the enol i brought was under £500 the Dauphine with 105 components is just under £1000, what would i be best to spend my money on?

Windy

Not more than £2,500, IMHO

Top Bottom