Cable set question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mwktar

Über Member
Not something I've ever considered but ive just dropped my bike off for the setup to be transferred to a new frame and the LBS guy asked if I wanted to keep my 105 cable set for the shifters or move the the ultegra set (something to do with what came with the new frame)

When I asked how much of a difference it would make he said shifting would be MUCH slicker - as in incredibly noticeable

There anything to this?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Highly unlikely

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
mwktar

mwktar

Über Member
Thought as much - my LBS guy knows his stuff though so it made me wonder - maybe if I was riding TDF and not the Taff Trail I'd be able to tell the difference ;)

AlanW

Guru
All depends, if its the Ultegra 6800 cable set or not? The afore mentioned cable set is truly superb, if rather costly, and it will make a noticeable difference in the gear changing IMHO

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The Dura Ace cable set is around £50. £20 is therefore a bargain. :biggrin:

I think the key word is 'extra'.

kiriyama

Prob a daft question but are there any compatibility issues since its a 105 set?

Cables are cables. (Some better quality than others) You get compatability issues when the stuff at either end of the cables (shifters/mechs) aren't compatible.

Personal I would pay the £20 nothing at all wrong with 105, but new cables always feel better.

AlanW

Guru
The 6800 cableset is polymer coated and will make for a much smoother gear change. This is particulary noticable with the earlier version on Shimano concealed cables.

Top Bottom