Cable ties are just the best. Fact.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I don't think this sort of thing belongs in a thread like this.

Everyone else is talking about using them to bodge, and you're using them to tie cables! Cheat!

One of them's a hose, so it isn't all cables?!?!

Anyway:

I once worked on a murder where the victim was tied up with cable ties, and they helped to trace the killer.
Is that any better?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Right
This article describes the case.

http://en.wikipedia...._Leanne_Tiernan
There is a reference to the cable ties used by the Post Office to bind mailsacks. The article states they were Italian. The mailsack ties weren't but we traced two others on the body to an Italian manufacturer.

The ferret netting used to tie the bin bags was a massive outside chance guess by yours truly. We suspected that the killer was involved in outdoor pursuits or poaching. I suggested the twine may well turn out to be a ferret net and rang a company called Deben industries to enquire. By a chance in thousands they had sold the stuff as a special offer, and by the time we had done all the necessary work on it we traced it back to a half-ton shipment of raw fibres from the far east. Its composition and the chemicals used to dye it proved that that twine, and only that twine, could possibly have been used to tie the sacks she was found in.

What actually caught him was a dog collar. We traced it to a company in Nottingham who had sold two dozen of the collars to local shops (it was unique to a particular run of collars due to the way it was cut...) and we contacted the local pet shops that had bought them to sell on. None of them could identify the or remember the E-fit dog-walker. I then told the detectives to ring and see if they sold them by mail order. They listed 123 companies that bought them wholesale for mail order, and so, rather grumpily, the detectives started ringing round. Call number 105 racked up the jackpot. John Taylor (already in the category of potential suspect because of his age, his poaching lifestyle and his previous employment with a parcel company) had ordered six of them.

I once joked to Ch Supt Gregg that "that collar is the best lead we've got" hoping that he'd slip it into a press conference, but he never did.

Top Bottom