Cabriolets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What do you reckon? Good or bad? Not just these,but soft tops in general. I had an Audi 80 cabriolet once. The roof had to be folded back by hand. When you got the front back,i can't remember exactly how it went,but before you could get it down fully it fell back into closed position:cursing:. I remember having a piece of wood to hold it up while i sorted the back of the roof out. I spotted the cars below at a local garage today. I like the yellow one more than the blue one,though the blue one is a Cooper. Isn't it the wrong time of the year to be selling and buying soft tops though? 🤔

1599409390513.png

1599409471572.png

1599410198826.png

1599410276644.png

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Good, but not a Mini one. I've had two; a 1984 Talbot Samba Cabrio to test the water (like a rollerskate with an engine) and a modded 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero in lime yellow (well equipped and fast).

At some point I'll get another to compliment my Peugeot Tepee bike-hauler. Either it'll be a little thing, second-hand as they don't make small 4-seat convertibles any more, or more likely a Jag XKR / F-Type.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
the blue one is a Cooper
It isn't. Don't fall for BMW's marketing, count how many "Coopers" you see versus Mini "Ones", (it'll be more than ten to one), then realise how BMW have pulled off a masterclass of using an iconic name on an ordinary product to fool everyone that what they have is special rather than standard. There's nothing "Cooper" about a modern Mini Cooper.

Convertibles in the UK are like central heating in Doha. You might enjoy using it once or thrice in a year.
What makes me laugh is seeing people with the roof down in October, faces grimacing, teeth chattering, inwardly saying "I'm damn well using it regardless because people said I wouldn't!"
^_^

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Convertibles in the UK are like central heating in Doha. You might enjoy using it once or thrice in a year.
What makes me laugh is seeing people with the roof down in October, faces grimacing, teeth chattering, inwardly saying "I'm damn well using it regardless because people said I wouldn't!"
^_^
I saw a couple today in an Audi sort top,with the top down. She was wrapped up to the nines,while he (and looked a slim bloke) was wearing a vest!:cold: I remember my Audi soft top. Yes,only a day or so every now and then when you felt comfy with the top down. My worst fear was a seagull crapping and it landing in my eyes while doing say 70mph!:eek:

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
It isn't. Don't fall for BMW's marketing, count how many "Coopers" you see versus Mini "Ones", (it'll be more than ten to one), then realise how BMW have pulled off a masterclass of using an iconic name on an ordinary product to fool everyone that what they have is special rather than standard. There's nothing "Cooper" about a modern Mini Cooper.

^_^
Get the heated seats going, the heaters on, some cars even have neck heaters, and it's not too bad at all.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm open to persuasion but I think it depends on the format. Considering all you're giving away in mass, complexity, theft-risk, reliability, hassle... I'd want something pretty special.

Personally I think the Mini looks a bit gash with a soft top, as do many hatches. I could go for an MX5 or MK3 MR2 though; a far more suitable platform IMO.

Top Bottom