Cabriolets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have any of you ever cleaned your soft top's, soft top by using stuff like this?

51S2J000f2L._AC_SY355_.jpg

I watched a video last night that said you shouldn't use a power washer on canvas roofs as they can mark the fabric and loosen stitching, leading to leaks. I have used a power washer on my car's canvas roof, but only on a low pressure to apply a gloss finish, thinking/hoping it might add a bit more waterproof protection. My roof looks ok, but it has slight black marks on probably from when it's been folded up over the years. i'd like to try such a cleaner, but Sometimes when you clean something it shows such marks up even more. Should I attempt it or just leave it and say a few marks add a bit of character? 🤔

Not a great pic of my roof as I was taking a photo of him in the background for another thread and my car's roof just happened to be in the shot, but you can see the marks I'm on about.

ohc-lxa6yopc-kaax9yghxi-_nc_ht-scontent-man2-1-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy £20 isn't much fuel at all these days 2.75 gallons/12.5 Litres? So just make sure you dose the correct amount of redex.

Maybe best to put just a small splash in. 🤔

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Have any of you ever cleaned your soft top's, soft top by using stuff like this?

View attachment 687710

I watched a video last night that said you shouldn't use a power washer on canvas roofs as they can mark the fabric and loosen stitching, leading to leaks. I have used a power washer on my car's canvas roof, but only on a low pressure to apply a gloss finish, thinking/hoping it might add a bit more waterproof protection. My roof looks ok, but it has slight black marks on probably from when it's been folded up over the years. i'd like to try such a cleaner, but Sometimes when you clean something it shows such marks up even more. Should I attempt it or just leave it and say a few marks add a bit of character? 🤔

Not a great pic of my roof as I was taking a photo of him in the background for another thread and my car's roof just happened to be in the shot, but you can see the marks I'm on about.

View attachment 687711

Yes I used it when I first got a cab., but only until that ran out. After that, it's on to a regime of Johnson's Baby Bath (blue bottle) and resealed with Fabsil tent proofer. Cheaper, better. If green stains (algae), then Milton tablets or solution (mild bleach) sorts that.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Yes I used it when I first got a cab., but only until that ran out. After that, it's on to a regime of Johnson's Baby Bath (blue bottle) and resealed with Fabsil tent proofer. Cheaper, better. If green stains (algae), then Milton tablets or solution (mild bleach) sorts that.

I used Fabsil until I bought a new Mohair roof for my MX-5. And saw it being manufactured; and had it explained and shown to me that it’s comprised of a rubber ‘sheet’ sandwiched by the outer and inner layers.

Whilst you can get the visual outer to bead water faster; and of course you can keep it clean; if you have this composition of roof - you cannot make it more waterproof per-se……

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I used Fabsil until I bought a new Mohair roof for my MX-5. And saw it being manufactured; and had it explained and shown to me that it’s comprised of a rubber ‘sheet’ sandwiched by the outer and inner layers.

Whilst you can get the visual outer to bead water faster; and of course you can keep it clean; if you have this composition of roof - you cannot make it more waterproof per-se……

Understood - it's why roofs can stay sodden and yet waterproof, but people love the beading of a newly-proofed roof, and applying a waterproofing agent is the only way to get it - for a few weeks anyway!

See also tyre blacking and much else to do with detailing cars (used to be me, isn't any more :smile: )

Gunk

Guru
I used the Autoglym kit on our old Audi 80 Cabriolet and the results were excellent, it’s hard work and I did ours twice but it came up like new.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

View attachment 687710

View attachment 687711

Renovo is much better. OEM product too.

mustang1

Guru

View attachment 687710

View attachment 687711

Yeah, ages ago. Iirc, first rinsed the roof with low pressure water then applied that shampoo thing with a fabric-roof-specific brush. I left it on while I washed the rest of the car then rinsed it all off. It was a good product actually and when I sold the car, I gave the new owner the washing kit and he told me he would take really good care of the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The low fuel light finally came on today. I drove to the fuel station, but couldn't remember which was the fuel I'd got 15 days of motoring out of :unsure: , so I drove off without topping up. Not only that, but I forgot to put that bottle of Redox in my car. :rolleyes: I want to add some Redox before I top up as it'll then get mixed in with the petrol, whereas just adding it after will mean it doesn't get mixed into all the petrol.🤔

DogmaStu

I have this as my 'toy' but it rarely gets used. I don't drive much - cycle everywhere - and my girlfriend always wants to drive it when we do occasionally use it.

Lovely though. My 3rd Z4 over the years.

IMG-8705.JPG

IMG-8704.JPG

IMG-8703.JPG

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Heck, just had a nearly blew my electric fold back roof moment a short while ago! There I was holding the button down while it folded back, then I heard a bit of a grinding sound. I immediately took my finger off the button. I then realised I had my boot open, which blocks the flow of the roof. I blew the boot opening mechanism about a year ago by closing the roof while a chair leg was sticking up, restricting the movement of the roof. I had it fixed, but the roof doesn't stop automatically now when it feels something blocking its flow. If I hadn't taken my finger off the close roof button no doubt I'd have blown something again!! I checked the roof mechanism, opening and closing it a few times. It seems ok, but I have to remember to be very careful with that flimsy canvas roof!! :unsure:

Top Bottom