Cadence Conundrum!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

I wouldn't be considering changing your crank length (and by definition, your bike fit) just to hit some arbitrary cadence target on a warm-up exercise though. That's all I'm trying to say. The objective of the warm up is...well, it's a warm-up. Nothing more.

screenman

Legendary Member
Most people bob about at around 120 and smooth down again once past that, at 60 I Max out at about 180, it was faster a few years back.

I naturally prefer a slightly higher cadence, rather than grinding a gear. At 6ft-1" I would lean towards longer cranks (175mm currently fitted) but if shorter ones make a difference I'd be willing to give them a try.

I'm 6'5" and run 175mm cranks as I too prefer to spin at a higher cadence (~90rpm). As a warm up, spinning up quickly to get the heart and lungs going makes sense, though I'd have thought a 30 second effort more beneficial than just 6 seconds.

There's a VO2max training session (on the trainer, resistance low) I used to use to help improve general fitness and pedaling efficiency,
45 mins on the trainer.
1 5 min warm up
2 3 min medium pace (~100rpm, 80% max hr)...2 min max effort (+140rpm, ~100% hr) x 3 times (by the end of 2 mins you just be almost spent)
3 5 min rest (drink something)
4 3 min medium pace (~100rpm, 80% max hr)...2 min max effort (+140rpm, ~100% hr) x 3 times
5 5 min cool down (puke)

We used to run this session towards the end of off session to kick off the pre-race training sessions. For the first few sessions the max effort was only 1 min, coach added more time each session. Plus when I started this type of training I'd start bouncing in the saddle at about 120rpm and after a few weeks I was good/smooth at 160rpm.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am surprised many have not come across the 120 bounce as it was something I was told about nearly 50 years ago.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If it's a warm up then I'm surprised they give a definite number. Why 150rpm and not 140 or 130? Why not just say "as fast as you can without bouncing".
Getting myself a set of rollers probably smoothed my pedalling technique a bit. I quite enjoy a chilled out unstructured spin on them after a shoot day.

Top Bottom