Cadence rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogg

Afternoon everyone,

What would be the relative merits of different cadence rates?

Would it be more beneficial to run a higher cadence on a lower gear or a lower cadence on a higher gear in general??

Cheers

green1

Über Member
High cadence lower gear, although I'm a bit of a grinder.

Sharky

Guru
It is whatever becomes comfortable for the particular conditions you happen to be riding on.

If you are riding in a bunch and need to follow another wheel, then a lower cadence will help you accelerate and is easier to respond to changing speeds.

If time trial, you don't have to accelerate, just keeping a steady speed, then lower cadences are effective.

Used to have a theory - if your legs are hurting, change down and if your lungs are hurting, change up.

I do a lot of fixed/ss, so in a ride, I end up riding at both ends of the cadence scale. This helps to get to know what is effective, but it is not without pain!

Cheers Keith

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Without the interruption of traffic/lights I seem to be going at 95rpm on average at the moment. So says Garmin!
I am thinking of buying a power meter soon to judge output and measure my rides more accurately.

maltloaf

I think having a cadence meter helps you improve your pedalling style. After a while you know what your cadence is pretty accurately just by feel. I have a high cadence alarm set on my Garmin but I'm usually already changing up when it goes off. Pedalling at 90 to 95 now feels completely natural to me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So do you guys recommend a Cadence addon or do you just ride what feels right?

I recommend people stop reading magazines!

bpsmith

Veteran
I do read magazines but pay little attention to the ads. Didn't read about cadence in a mag, it was something that came up when buying my Garmin. Grabbed the 510 to get me started, with the thought of adding the Cadence and/or HRM at a later point if beneficial. Not decided on the Cadence sensor yet, but looks like something the could help?

I do read magazines but pay little attention to the ads. Didn't read about cadence in a mag, it was something that came up when buying my Garmin. Grabbed the 510 to get me started, with the thought of adding the Cadence and/or HRM at a later point if beneficial. Not decided on the Cadence sensor yet, but looks like something the could help?
if you get the speed/cad sensor, it will help with some anomalous readings, never used a 5120 but thats what I found with the 500 especially if you have the auto pause set to say less than 3mph, also the odd max speed readings you sometimes get.

Top Bottom