Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Last year I seemed to be averaging mid-70s. This year I've gone quicker generally, and I've noticed lately that my cadence has risen to low to mid 90s . Through no conscious effort to raise it at all. So I'm quite pleased about that, given that some say a higher cadence is less damaging on the legs.

Anyway, my question is this. Do those of you who turn the pedals at 95 or above maintain that ALL the time? i.e. going up hills as well as on the flat? I naturally pedal slower on hills and it seems that dropping a gear or two just results in a reduction in speed. If I stay in a higher gear and pedal at around 75 then I go up the hill quicker than 90s in a smaller gear.

So I was wondering if you generally keep a high cadence all the time?

Also, where's Jacomus got to? I remember him saying he spins at around 105!

walker

everyone pedals slower on the hills, but changing down results in a pretty even cadence anyway.

We are told to keep our revs high a la Armstrong but for some of us we find it easier churning the bigger gears.

I find smaller and slimer riders spin higher than us taller bigger riders

Blue

Legendary Member
I spin at about 95 - 100, but do slow on hills if I ignore the gears.

I pick a gear for the hills in accord with steepness and length. I can climb a long steep hill faster if I keep spinning by dropping a couple of gears as the fresher legs can maintain the reduced speed all the way up.

Tynan

Veteran
I aim for 90 so stick to that pretty much all the time and it feels right now, I do drop on big hills but I'm doing well at dropping gears to compensate although my natural tendency has always been to grind it out

my legs feel much better for it though, and look less like tree trunks

monnet

Guru
I'm usually in the early 90's with my cadence (wind depending). But on the hills I ignore it (and the speedo)- I go with what feels right and how strong I feel. I've done some climbs on one day in, say 39x19 and then in the same conditions a few days later in 39x23 or 25. I generally get the front ring right at the start of the climb and then ease through the gears according to length/gradient etc, pinching a cog back where I can. It's never at 90rpm though!

Losidan

Dont different body types work different ways...?

If you look at a big power house like Sean Yates he would use a larger gear with a big chain ring to roll the gears over with a lower cadence.

Similarly some one like pantani I think used a much higher cadence with a lower gear.

I personally always used a low cadence even on the hills and often used the big chain ring whereas co riders would use the small ring and spin instead.

Horses for courses and what works for you doesnt for everyone else...

yello

I try to pedal at around 90+ on the flat. Climbs are another matter, and it depends on the climb. I try to make a decision about gearing before I hit the climb. My aim is to keep my cadence above say 70 when climbing but the reality is that can't always be done. I'd love to be able to spin up anything but I can't, so if I need to grind out a climb then so be it.

I tend to stay seated on climbs. I'm only (as a rule) out of the saddle when attempting to carry speed up a climb and I'm on the big ring, or it's a short sharp climb. I'd love to be a grimpeur but it's not there, as much as I like climbing!

Bill Gates

I think for everyone the cadence drops when climbing and you spin faster (or freewheel) going down. You need to ride lots to feel comfortable @ 90/100 rpm on the flat. Most riders I know ride an average of around 90 rpm

02GF74

Über Member
cadence is going to depned on leg length too; if you are hsorter, you can twiddle faster.

I aim for 90.

Plax

Guru
I have no idea what my cadence is, how do you work it out if you haven't got a computer that tells you?

02GF74

Über Member
you need a time source; for example count how many times your legs spin in 15 seconds and multiply by 4.

Top Bottom