Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slettie

Good morning
I am a beginner and some terms is still a bit unclear.Every one is talking about your candence must be 90-100.I am using the application Ride with GPS and there is a Pace.Do anyone knows how that correspond to cadence?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@slettie : The experts will no doubt correct me if I get this wrong, but I believe pace = minutes per mile (e.g. "he ran a 4-minute mile"), while cadence is revolutions per minute (rpm), i.e. the number of full 360 degree revolutions your pedal makes per minute. So there's no correspondence between the two units of measure, because you can be using the same cadence but do different speeds.
Hope that helps.

Regards,

--- Victor.

OP
OP
S

slettie

@slettie : The experts will no doubt correct me if I get this wrong, but I believe pace = minutes per mile (e.g. "he ran a 4-minute mile"), while cadence is revolutions per minute (rpm), i.e. the number of full 360 degree revolutions your pedal makes per minute. So there's no correspondence between the two units of measure, because you can be using the same cadence but do different speeds.
Hope that helps.

Regards,

--- Victor.
Thanks,so then I must get my average pace lower.On this moment it is between 3:11 and 3:16.And aim for below 3.My husband's is below 3.

Cadence depends a lot of factors, for me as a commuter and social rider I am not looking for max power or speed so I aim for a cadence that I find sustainable.

A byproduct of that is that as I predominantly ride a fixed wheel bicycle, my pace is fairly constant for any given road condition.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
S

slettie

Cadence depends a lot of factors, for me as a commuter and social rider I am not looking for max power or speed so I aim for a cadence that I find sustainable.

A byproduct of that is that as I predominantly ride a fixed wheel bicycle, my pace is fairly constant for any given road condition.
hi

I cycle to be healty and get fit and also loose some weight.I just want to ride the shortest distance for competitions to see if I have progressed.But not be competitive.I actually compete against myself.Hy husband ,son and daughter is also cycling.But I can not really compete against them.

OP
OP
S

slettie

Mines probably around 75 and I get from A-B, I just go wth what feels natural and comfortable
but you will need some equipment to measure the candence,if I gather correctly.Well then I am not going to stress about that anymore.Just trying to better the pace from now on then.

screenman

Legendary Member
At 40 years old mine was 90 to 95 ish at 60 it is 80 to 85

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When I had a cycle computer which showed cadence I used to ride at 75-90, at 100+ I was either going flat out or pushing the wrong gear for me.

Today I just ride at what's comfortable for the conditions at the time. Enjoy the riding, if later you get heavily in to the technical side of cycling worry about cadence etc. then.

vickster

Legendary Member
but you will need some equipment to measure the candence,if I gather correctly.Well then I am not going to stress about that anymore.Just trying to better the pace from now on then.
Not really, I use gym bikes and pedal Similarly and am told that's the cadence. I've also had a bike assessment and was told the same. But I don't really care, especially as where I ride, my pace is dictated as much by traffic as how quickly my legs turn :smile:

Just enjoy your cycling. By all means, measure your cadence, you might be doing around that naturally. What are you referring to with your pace above, it's not clear to me?

OP
OP
S

slettie

Not really, I use gym bikes and pedal Similarly and am told that's the cadence. I've also had a bike assessment and was told the same. But I don't really care, especially as where I ride, my pace is dictated as much by traffic as how quickly my legs turn :smile:

Just enjoy your cycling. By all means, measure your cadence, you might be doing around that naturally. What are you referring to with your pace above, it's not clear to me?
I am using the phone application Ride with GPS.And there they measure your pace.I do not exactly also know what that is.I just know mine is between 3;11 AND 3:16.While my husband's is below 3:00.And he ride much faster than me.So I suspect it must be lower.

Venod

Eh up
At 40 years old mine was 90 to 95 ish at 60 it is 80 to 85

Thats interesting, mine has gone the other way, I can longer push the big gears for long periods, I averaged 100rpm for 60 miles on a ride last year at an average speed of 18mph, when younger I may have been faster but the cadence would have been lower.

It doesn't matter what cadence you have as long as you are enjoying it, the most efficient cadence for you might not be the same as another person.

I think 90-100 has been found to be the most efficient for most people (me included) but it doesn't suit everybody.

Top Bottom