Cadex CFR-2 23 years old. Dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IfeelSick

Hi, I was looking at buying a Cadex CFR-2 which is a 23 year old carbon fibre with aluminium lugs. It has carbon fibre fork and carbon fibre handlebars. Would it be dangerous to ride this bike? I am 100kg in weight if that matters.

Thankyou

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-05-18-19-01.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-05-18-19-01.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 70

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hmm, it's not a classic, it's been messed up with those bars. Without knowing how well it's been looked after, maybe not.

OP
OP
I

IfeelSick

Hmm, it's not a classic, it's been messed up with those bars. Without knowing how well it's been looked after, maybe not.

Hi fossyant, thanks for the reply. It was either this bike or those fixie bikes that sell everywhere (hi-ten steel i guess). Fossyant what could go wrong with this bike? Also is £210 worth it as i comes with carbon handle bars and fork?

Thanks, Richard

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you research the old bonded alloy and carbon frames from Alan (who were leaders in the market) you'll find the old bikes now being used as beautiful ornaments.

They were good, but the glues have aged and technology has improved.

OP
OP
I

IfeelSick

That saddle angle.....

Lol. Looks like it's had it's day. HAHA

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you research the old bonded alloy and carbon frames from Alan (who were leaders in the market) you'll find the old bikes now being used as beautiful ornaments.

They were good, but the glues have aged and technology has improved.
One of my customers has one. Absolutely gorgeous looking bike fitted out with full Campag Record. I believe the tubes on those frames were screwed and glued into the lugs.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a nude 'glued and screwed' aluminium framed ALAN (1981) which is going strong, with Nuovo Record FD and RD, and SR Apex chainset. One of few aluminium bikes you can use on Eroica. I love riding it but the braking is not great so conditions have to be good. No sign of any frame problems. I understand ALAN got it right whereas others, less so.

Top Bottom