Caen D-day tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
There is a war memorial in Caen dedicated to the D-landings, well worth a visit.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Great little museum at Arromanches, with a scale model of the Mulberry harbour in action. My father-in-law pointed out to the curator that all the tiny union jacks on the vehicles were upside down. You could tell the guy just couldn't tell whether it was a wind-up or not. At the Eastern end of the beach in Arromanches there is a little hill with a Sherman tank on top of it, with a great view of what is left of the caissons. There is another good D-Day museum in Caen itself. Further afield there's a very impressive American cemetery at Vierville overlooking Omaha Beach. I'm thinking of a daytrip by bike one of these years . Enjoy.

Elysian_Roads

[QUOTE 5164643, member: 45"]FWIW, I've booked my ticket. Portsmouth-Caen in March. Overnight ferry out, long day in Normandy, overnight ferry back. £110 including me, scooter, and outside cabin both ways.

The same trip with a bicycle and the cheapest cabin is £74, or with no cabin and a reserved seat it's £31. That's the price of a curry and a couple of pints. Bargain.[/QUOTE]
Looking forward to hearing how you get on @User.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
That goes for me too. I guess your scooter will be stowed somewhere near the bicycles on the car deck. Some photos of how they are stowed would be informative. Enjoy your trip.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sounds like a great day out.
It wont be the same in a car with the family though;)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks for the report @User . A very interesting area where I have been a few times by motorbike/car/cycle. Last year I took the ferry Portsmouth to St. Malo (overnight) then spent a few days cycling to Caen passing through many of the places in your report. The cycling over there is fantastic, with a huge network of quiet back roads to choose from, all of which are well surfaced and properly maintained with very light traffic. Main roads are easily avoided, and there are places of interest around every corner. It's my favourite cycling destination! Just a pity I am so far away from Portsmouth or I would make the trip more often.

Top Bottom