Café Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BinBag

I'm doing a 120 miler to Anglesey next weekend. We need a breakfast café stop in the Northwich area - any ideas?

Ideally we need it to be open from 7am ish!

I know it's a long shot but someone must know a greasy spoon or side road café / burger van.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is the possibility of a burger van by the 'bus station stops' in the town centre. Sainsbury's opens at 7am but the restaurant does not open until 8am. Waitrose opens at 8am as does its café I believe. Tesco's is open 24/7 except on Sunday's but sadly I don't know about the costa there (think it could even be a vending machine costa, not sure). Cafe's otherwise can't really think out anything that could be open but I am not certain - being so close to home I don't visit them (sorry).

Right having gone through the list... (here)...I can't see anything sadly. I think there could be a burger van, as I said before, down by the car parks by the main bus stops on the one way system, but am not sure, which is the A559 Watling Street....

Even the café at Delamere Forest does not open until 9am... life is a touch dead around here :smile:

Depending on your route, there is always the truckers stop/service station at the M56/M6 junction earlier on at Lymm which is accessible by A roads and has a MacDonalds, costa (probably closed at that time of day)...

Last edited:
OP
OP
BinBag

BinBag

Thanks for that - just checked out the Sainsbury's and it's a bit out of our way. We're planning on cycling through Davenham, then Cuddington (I see that's where you're from), then Norley onto Delamere Forest.

It seems there's no cafés on the way. It's either that or Chester!

OK - the A556... there is a cycle lane alongside it that goes to School lane (Hartford). After that it is a shared use path that is very badly tree rooted and not really suitable for road bike (that said there could be a road side trailer in the layby along the next section (but not accessible from the shared use path). The shared use path terminates at the road that leads to Whitegate and Hartford. Then it is more interesting. technically there is nothing but a footpath and a very narrow one at that on the right hand side of the road, accessible by cycling down the slip road off the A556 and into the cul-de-sac where the houses are.... most cyclists do use this, but you will have to stop if you do use it and do meet anyone on it - absolutely no room to pass another person let alone another cyclist.
I have cycled the dual carriageway. It is OK if the road is not busy - you could be lucky at that time in the morning! I have cycled it at 9:30pm on a Saturday night and only had 11 cars pass me. But its not great.... The alternative route which I usually use is via Northwich or via the segregated cycle lane to the first Hartford turn, then off down school lane, back up via the main road through Hartford and zigsss.... best I just give you a link to my strava... if you zoom in, these are your only alternatives to the A556 dual carriageway... http://www.strava.com/activities/161249880 I also personally avoid Davenham if I can because the road surface is crap, and there are some nasty speed bumps on it and the A533 bypass is nice and smooth with a good hard shoulder for cyclists. Hope that helps... possibly not but...

now you have me wondering if the premiere inn has any eating options - that's just off the A556 in Cuddington or even the Shell petrol station at the A556/A49 traffic lights... I should be able to go that way to do the shopping tomorrow - I will have a look for you if you want.

Right my OH has confirmed that the shell petrol station is a coffee machine only, but would probably have cold stuff that could make a breakfast. However he has also pointed out that there is a bakery opposite Cuddington railway station on Norley Rd (almost at the A49 junction) and we think that would be open at that time in the morning. It does a good trade in hot pies etc as well as cakes and bread and is usually very busy. I could check the opening times for you if you wanted.

Now you have me wondering if any of the other bakeries would be open and where they are....

OP
OP
BinBag

BinBag

Wow - that's fantastic many thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to reroute so we pile into Northwich then over to Cuddington missing the A556 I think. I'll work some more on the route on Monday.

Thanks again

Worst case scenario I have established that the burger van in the layby on the A556 (that's the section that has the dodgy cycle path/shared with pedestrians) between Northwich and Cuddington is open from 7am 7 days a week (its also only accessible by bike if you cycle the A556 because its on the wrong side of the crash barrier... but if there is more than one of you, hopping the barrier on foot could be an option).

Will look up the bakery opening times (and a general idea of what the serve (know it is pies, pastries savoury & sweet, as well as bread and think drinks as well)) when I go passed it on Monday to the Chemist. If you need anymore help, the last time I will have internet access will be Tuesday before 9am, then I am away for a while!

I checked at the bakery in Cuddington today and unfortunately it does not open until 8:15am on a Saturday.
So as far as I can tell, you will be restricted to the costa coffee shop in Tesco's unless @lanternerouge can help you - though he does not appear to have been on CC for a while.
Untitled.jpg

Unfortunately that is as much assistance as I can give you because I go on tour tomorrow morning and will be totally off grid for 9-10 days.

Just in case - the burger van on the A556 does not open until 7:30am (grass was obscuring the opening hours - apologies for that).

judder

Hey binbag. Where are you setting off from? . Would be interested to know what route you had planned as it looks like a good challenge..ta...

Top Bottom