Cafe fascination

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You've tried to cycle around the world. How did you manage?
FTFY...

Less people elsewhere! And I just got on with it, they get less offended by it overseas...

Last edited by a moderator:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 3481050, member: 259"]Which EU regs have changed that?[/QUOTE]

There's much stricter food hygiene rules now for food being sold to the public but I'm not sure that they were EU generated. The WI nearly fell foul of them with their jams and cakes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 3481050, member: 259"]Which EU regs have changed that?[/QUOTE]

Many years ago. When a little farmhouse couldn't open the front room for cyclists at next to no cost, cos they had a kitchen that they had food. Commercial kitchen and stuff.

We used to call into a little farmhouse near the top of Flash in the Peaks and have a quick meal,and tea in the front room which was kitted out with bench seats. Kitchen was opposite. Very simple menu. But health and safety regs/EU shut them down, they needed a commercial kitchen.

There was a special affection with these farm houses. It all changed in the 90's. I know, progress and stuff.

400bhp

Guru
Many years ago. When a little farmhouse couldn't open the front room for cyclists at next to no cost, cos they had a kitchen that they had food. Commercial kitchen and stuff.

We used to call into a little farmhouse near the top of Flash in the Peaks and have a quick meal,and tea in the front room which was kitted out with bench seats. Kitchen was opposite. Very simple menu. But health and safety regs/EU shut them down, they needed a commercial kitchen.

There was a special affection with these farm houses. It all changed in the 90's. I know, progress and stuff.

I was just looking at your post about beans n toast and calling out some famous cyclists name and I was trying to remember the cafe where I used to go which was in a farmhouse in a front room. There you go!!. It was so long ago i had forgotten where it was. I had thought it was Blaze farm perhaps in the old days.

Thanks for the reminder. Man, I remember going there on some very very cold days. No feelings in my hands or toes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cafes are more than the refuel and the caffeine hit; you meet up and shoot off urgently like nutters and the cafe stop is your first opportunity to stop and relax and mull things over, compare notes on the hills and gently take the mickey. Cycling cafes are the places where friendships are formed and cemented.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
you meet up and shoot off urgently like nutters and the cafe stop is your first opportunity to stop and relax and mull things over, compare notes on the hills and gently take the mickey.
Which doesn't explain easy riding groups also using cafe stops, pub stops, ... while we meet up, chat a bit, ride off gently, chat on the ride and so on :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

Cafes are more than the refuel and the caffeine hit; you meet up and shoot off urgently like nutters and the cafe stop is your first opportunity to stop and relax and mull things over, compare notes on the hills and gently take the mickey. Cycling cafes are the places where friendships are formed and cemented.

I used to be a regular on the Coventry Road Club Rides and there were a few rides where I rode out with one group and rode back with one of the other groups simply because I was so busy talking that I missed my group leaving.

screenman

Legendary Member
Must admit I only use my bike for exercise, so seldom stop unless I am out for a ride with the wife where it seems a pub stop is compulsory. For a lot of cyclist in this area the gardens centre's now offer some of the best choices.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Take it your not very sociable @Mr.Si ;)
Apart from coffee and cake which is the most obvious answer, it's a great way to catch up with other riders...... in the warm too. It's often the first item on the agenda before we ride :laugh:

OP
OP
M

Mr.Si

Take it your not very sociable @Mr.Si ;)
Apart from coffee and cake which is the most obvious answer, it's a great way to catch up with other riders...... in the warm too. It's often the first item on the agenda before we ride :laugh:

on the contrary!

this thread has been very helpful to me.
I was jist kind of interested really, because I had joined a couple of forums and the off topic or non specific chat rooms all have a name relating to café.

I'm looking forward to getting out there and into the café stops too.

when I go to Kettlewell in August, I'll make sure we stop somewhere café-like.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was just looking at your post about beans n toast and calling out some famous cyclists name and I was trying to remember the cafe where I used to go which was in a farmhouse in a front room. There you go!!. It was so long ago i had forgotten where it was. I had thought it was Blaze farm perhaps in the old days.

Thanks for the reminder. Man, I remember going there on some very very cold days. No feelings in my hands or toes.

It was run by a little old lady. Once she shut down another farm house round the corner opened up for a while.

Top Bottom