Cafe near Goole?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
I have a regular ride which takes me out through York and back via Goole, by which time I need Beans On.

My normal fuel stop has been the Diner at Boothferry Bridge, but in the last six months it has become too squalid and off-hand even for my modest standards.

Can anyone suggest a replacement around Howden or Goole? I don't want a Fine China Experience, just somewhere clean where I can be served simple food efficiently. Preferably with wholemeal bread :smile:

Andrew

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Welcome to the forum Andrew.

There is an excellent transport type cafe in Andersen Road, Goole. It is on the left hand side as you are heading towards the docks and is a portacabin affair in a gravelly lorry park. You can see it behind wire fencing to the right of the entrance to the lorry park. Excellent grub at ridiculously cheap prices, and they do BOT. I know it is open during the week, but I don't know its Sunday hours.

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
There is an excellent transport type cafe in Andersen Road, Goole.

Right, I'll give it a go. Is Andersen Road the A161, which goes down through the trading estate and then over the railway bridge? Tracklogs doesn't stretch to road names.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
ASC1951 said:
I have a regular ride which takes me out through York and back via Goole, by which time I need Beans On.

My normal fuel stop has been the Diner at Boothferry Bridge, but in the last six months it has become too squalid and off-hand even for my modest standards.

Can anyone suggest a replacement around Howden or Goole? I don't want a Fine China Experience, just somewhere clean where I can be served simple food efficiently. Preferably with wholemeal bread :biggrin:

Andrew

Isn't Howden close by? I'm sure that there's cafe's there though I use the Co-op for refuelling when I'm Audaxing in the area.

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
I do go through Howden and I haven't noticed one, although I come in from the north down the B1228 and only see half of it. I shall turn right and try the other half next time.

Not this weekend, though - my SpawnOfSatan Astra suddenly coughed and died halfway up Chapeltown Road yesterday and I need to get it towed and fixed. I suspect a total failure of whatever that expensive lump is that diesels have instead of carburetters.

I don't know whether to be sick as a parrot at the likely cost, or sweaty-grateful that it didn't happen at 70 on the M1 half an hour earlier.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Does this craving for food during a paltry 100 miler mean that you no longer have a 'hump' to provide all your nourishment? Does the camel now need an oasis?

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
I think you might be right, Tim. A couple of years ago I could could go do 120 miles to Hawes and back on a black pudding and a couple of pints of water, but it's not quite so easy now. It could be the couple of years, but more likely too many black puddings and not enough 120 milers.

I'm off to Gran Canaria at Easter and am pretty sure I have left my training far too late. It's going to need liposuction now, or a strategic injury.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I can see why you're having to train hard if it's Gran Canaria at Easter. Boy is it hilly!

I hope you've got your accomadation sorted out at that time of year. The worst area to be, is up round Teror as every ride ends with a desperate headwind.

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
I sure have - booked a month ago.

It's Rural House #33 on this website
http://www.ecoturismocanarias.com/grancanaria/uk/

They have some stunning properties throughout Spain, but particularly in the Canaries, if you don't want the swimming pool and pink concrete. Much cheaper, too.

I usually go for the package ghetto when I go on my own, because the rural houses are too far from the airport if you don't hire a car. Last time I went to Gran Canaria I puffed my unsupported way round the island, a very hilly 115 miler which still ranks as my all time favourite ride, even better than the Marmotte and with no bail-out option. Now that I have an All Over Hump I may have to pretend not to want to do it again.

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
Well, this time I went the other way through Howden and couldn't see a cafe at all.

So it was on to your suggested Diner at Goole, Gerry Attrick. It did look perfect for my requirements - unfortunately I arrived twenty minutes after they stop cooking and ten minutes before they close the door. They are only open to 13.00 on Saturday and not at all on Sunday, if anyone is out that way.

I had to make do with a bag of chips at Tates Chippy in Rawcliffe instead. In fairness they were the best chips I have had in a long time and it was good to see Le Patron pinching them in the approved manner to decide when they were done. The chips were so good that I'm not surprised they are only open 10.5 hours a week and sustain two jobs out of it. Queuing out onto the pavement, we were.

OP
OP
A

ASC1951

Guru
I left home at 09.10 as it was!

How is it that going downwind in a 30mph westerly doesn't make up for pedalling back into it for the same distance? I know Young Mr Sallnow's rules say we have to put the first 100 of the month up, but surely not when it's a Personal Worst. I'm going to have to go and do another one in better conditions.

Top Bottom