Cafe style locks (Hiplok?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

I've got one of them. Does the job.
No idea about changing the combo when locked. Never heard of that. How do you do that?

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Its locked, push the change combo button in on the side, change to the combo you want, release the button, combo changed!

adamhearn

Veteran
The cable tie mechanism on Hiplok "locks" is released with the same two pronged "key" as everyone else's so assuming the thief has come with one in his pocket, that's probably less time at your bike than someone pushing a change combo button and resetting your combination lock example?

I do have and use a Hiplok. Good for what they are but we're talking a small improvement over nothing.

tom73

Guru
Yep have a few of them simple quick lock I use them on my QR wheels when I lock the bike up when I pop to the shops.
They are a good company have a couple of the gold rated locks too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They are very handy for a cafe stop when your bike is in sight or for just popping briefly into a shop

PaulRoberts

I have one, sometimes it's hard to lock, nothing happens when you change the combination, then last night it did the combination change whilst locked and I couldn't unlock it until I managed to randomly hit the right numbers.

Would not recommend as they are unreliable.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As well as a light 'in sight' lock I always leave my bike in the lowest gear so anyone successfully breaking said lock it is easy to catch by me who at this point would be very annoyed indeed.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The cable tie mechanism on Hiplok "locks" is released with the same two pronged "key" as everyone else's so assuming the thief has come with one in his pocket...
There are several varieties of Hiplok, right up to angle-grinder resistant D-locks.

I (sometimes) use one of these as an intermediate-level cafe lock, carried round the waist.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...lok-spin-chain-lock---neon-yellow-304438.html.
It's only drawback is that if worn under a jersey, the velcro loops can cause pilling.

Depends on where you are stopping. 90% of the time I'm in the country and the bike is visible and I'm not on a road anyway.
I just carry the cheap cable lock. I'm not worried about anyone changing my combination - sounds incredibly unlikely to happen.

Top Bottom