Cairn O Mount challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrisman

Im doing the (Cairn O Mount challenge 80 mile) On may the 26th. so as part of my training i cycled up the Cairn on sunday. And found it pretty hard going
heres me at the top :-)
END.jpg

Attachments

• END.jpg
    END.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 197

Nebulous

Guru
I had a fail on the Cairn O' Mount on a charity ride several years ago, before I started cycling. I have done it a couple of times now from the Aboyne side, but still haven't done it from the Edzell side.

I think it must be a pretty good place to try to see how fast you can go downhill! The last time I did it it was getting dark, so I wasn't willing to go too fast.

Noodley

Hi Harrisman, well done on getting tae the top (or to the carpark anyway :laugh:)...I'm nae far awa fae you, so might see you oot on the road sometime.

Noodley

Between Forfar and Kirrie, but quite often out and about around the roads of north Angus and southern Aberdeenshire.

Nebulous

Guru
I stuck to 25 30 mph didnt want to go any faster :smile:

I'm a bit of a risk-taker, with a real ambition being to hit 50mph. 49.9 is my best so far - incredibly close, but still short. That was on the Suie hill, at the other side of Alford. I stayed at a campsite near Laurencekirk in September, and cycled out to join my family after work. By the time I was coming down the Cairn O' Mount the light was pretty dodgy, so I only hit about 38.

Noodley

It's easier to get faster speeds descending Glenshee towards the Spittal than on Cairn O'Mount - enter the Snow Roads 300km audax in June (only 3 places left as of 8pm tonight) to experience both (and a few others hills as well)

doctornige

I used to live up round there. The hills are pretty serious!

I would imagine that the run off the last bend of the Cockbridge-Tomintoul road heading over Cockbridge might be a spot to clock some speed, if you can carry some out of the last steep hairpin. Would scare the shite out of me though. I worry about potholes more than anything.

OP
OP
Harrisman

Harrisman

Awell lads good luck on your speeds. I will stick to 30mph. I fell off at 20mph and hurt myself pretty bad. So not wanting to fall off any faster. Iv had 38 max :-)

doctornige

It's easier to get faster speeds descending Glenshee towards the Spittal than on Cairn O'Mount - enter the Snow Roads 300km audax in June (only 3 places left as of 8pm tonight) to experience both (and a few others hills as well)

I hit a deer on that road with a Land Rover. Daft bugger leapt the road and was caught on the left rear flank with the front nearside of my 109. It certainly survived the initial collision.

Nebulous

Guru

I've been thinking about it -though I don't know if I'll make it. Life is pretty hectic now until early May. I don't think I'll be able to get enough miles in to give it a good go. I never imagined it would be limited though, I thought I could hold on a bit before making a decision to enter.

eck

Über Member
I've been thinking about it -though I don't know if I'll make it. Life is pretty hectic now until early May. I don't think I'll be able to get enough miles in to give it a good go. I never imagined it would be limited though, I thought I could hold on a bit before making a decision to enter.
Hiya Nebulous, sorry you've missed the boat for the Snow Roads, but it has been published in the AUK calendar for a few months now, with the limit of 60 places included in the event info. We can't have an infinite number of riders because of the limited capacity of most of the controls. We normally get about a field of about 35 riders, I don't know why it's so popular this year. Perhaps it's because it's going to be filmed for BBC Scotland's Adventure Show. :becool:
We do expect that there will be a few withdrawals so, if you want a place on the reserve list, please email me on at the address on the AUK website. If a hilly 300 is a bit too daunting, there's always the easy-peasy Potter For Tea 100k on the same day, with added Noodley for company. :hello:
Cheers,
eck (event organiser).

Nebulous

Guru
Cheers Eck - I might well do that. I had quite big ambitions at the beginning of the year, but life has intruded. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to pick it up quite a bit later in the year, so a reserve list might be quite a plan. I've never taken part in an audax, but I have been really interested in what I have read about them. I'm gradually coming to the conclusion I might be better at distance than speed!
James

Top Bottom