Calais - Almelo Holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit of a long short and its only a thought at the moment but can I ask whether anyone has ridden from Calais to the Netherlands and if you have is it a particularly difficult route in anyway.
Would I find camp sites as I progressed easily enough and what would be the best mapping system to use on my android phone.
It is only a thought at the moment as I am waiting for my broken wrist to heal but I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
Given how difficult it is to get a bike on a train at St Pancras I just think it would be easier to get to Dover ad catch a ferry.

alicat

Legendary Member
Not difficult to put a touring bike on Eurostar.

Just book in advance and pay £30.

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/bikes

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you go to Dover, you could get a ferry to Dunkirk. I've cycled from there to the Netherlands mostly along the coast with the detour to Bruges. and it's quite easy. Just make sure you use the left gate out through the port fence instead of the cycleway onto the motorway feeder road.

No idea about campsites as we used hostels and one hotel. I used osmand which showed the junction numbers which are used more than route numbers in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Brains

Legendary Member
Check the wind direction!
If its against you, dont even try !

But yes, it's an easy route, just keep the sea on your left
I'd also reccomend starting at Dunkirk - DFDS affer £20 one way tickets for one person and one bike
Ships every 2 hrs

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
First of all apologies for not replying sooner and thank you all for your advice and comments. Its really down to me to summon up the courage to set off on this adventure. Ted

snorri

Legendary Member
First of all apologies for not replying sooner and thank you all for your advice and comments. Its really down to me to summon up the courage to set off on this adventure. Ted
You MUST do it, the most difficult part is getting to the end of your street, it's all fun after that^_^, honest!

Bit of a long short and its only a thought at the moment but can I ask whether anyone has ridden from Calais to the Netherlands and if you have is it a particularly difficult route in anyway.
Would I find camp sites as I progressed easily enough and what would be the best mapping system to use on my android phone.
It is only a thought at the moment as I am waiting for my broken wrist to heal but I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer.
Given how difficult it is to get a bike on a train at St Pancras I just think it would be easier to get to Dover ad catch a ferry.

Hi,
I'm just back from a week's tour of Belgium, a part of which covered the route you'd follow from Nieuwpoort into NL. It's signposted very well and from Nieuwpoort on north (at least - I wasn't further south on the coast) there's no shortage of campsites right on the route. So, signposting & camping should not be an issue. For the Calais part, I've no bike experience there, but my experience in France on a bike has only been positive.

As for a mapping app? I use OSMand as a back-up for finding where I am and planning an emergency route. Small upfront fee, download all the maps and you can do it all offline.
If I'm feeling particularly organised, I'll use the download option in Google maps to download a relevant map and mark off all the campsites that I think may be of use to me. That way the information is to hand should I need it, offline.

Not sure why you want to go to Almelo? That's more challenging to plan, but the cycling routes here in NL are extensive and safe. That part will require some up-front planning, but Calais to the Dutch border is just point & cycle!
Good luck with the wrist..... and get on and do it! :-)

Frank

Top Bottom