Calais area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James-S

I could be cycling back to the UK through Calais. Is it safe enough with regard to the migrants in the area or is the area best avoided if travelling solo. The reason I am asking is that I have seen footage of migrants attacking truckers etc and blockading roads.

Any helpful answers are welcome. No political or moral replies please.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I too have heard many stories, similar to what you describe... but... we have travelled to France via Calais (ferry or tunnel) twice a year for the past 17 years (so, that is 4 "transits" per year, two going, two coming back). We were in a Motorhome.

We have never seen any sign of problems, with immigrants, indeed, I am not even sure that. we saw any immigrants.

To me, usual rules apply (same as UK, or anywhere else) use "common sense" if an area looks "dodgy" avoid it and move on.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We stayed in Calais overnight two summers ago and were really surprised at how nice Calais was! The seafront is amazing! Calais-fornia as they like to say!

We saw no sign of an immigration issue and felt perfectly safe. I’d be happy cycling in and out of Calais as a single woman. Just use common sense as everywhere. Nothing to worry about beyond that!

Drago

Legendary Member
Just be aware that even without migrants etc Calais isn't the most salubrious place. Just keep your wits about you, maintain situational awareness, don't wear a Rolex or wave a thousand pound iPhone about and you'll be fine.

Simon_m

Guru
We cycled from Calais last summer and did have a support van, i thought it was going to be much worse and advised the van to stay close, but we were ok. We have driven around Calais a fwe times coming back from holidays and there are a lot of them about, usually at night, and also in Caen last night, there were a lot. Like someone else said, they are usually going the other way than you, but i do hear your hesitancy and worry. A easy buck from low lying trees is good. I guess just be aware. Most we come across are not in the main towns, but the side roads and trading estates near by. Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine :smile:

Top Bottom