Calais ferry terminal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, I'm just planning our next trip through France, van supported with a group of friends after the big success of a few years back.

Quick question about Calais ferry terminal for those who have used it and know it well. Is there a car park where the foot passengers can meet up with the van, unload the bikes and then head out from? I have found this vague info in the link below, but would like a map of some kind. I am looking at Google Earth but it is hard to tell the entrance and exit parts of the terminal. I have done a wiggle ride from there, but it was well organised. Where do foot passengers exit and where can the van park to meet up is the question. Thanks

http://www.calais-cotedopale.co.uk/practical/port-calais/calais-ferry-terminal

Brains

Legendary Member
You might find it a lot easier to match people with bikes at Dover.
They then walk/ride onto the ferry and load their own bikes
Ride off at the other end and then meet the van in the middle of Calais to actually get ready to ride.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi there, I'm just planning our next trip through France, van supported with a group of friends after the big success of a few years back.

Quick question about Calais ferry terminal for those who have used it and know it well. Is there a car park where the foot passengers can meet up with the van, unload the bikes and then head out from? I have found this vague info in the link below, but would like a map of some kind. I am looking at Google Earth but it is hard to tell the entrance and exit parts of the terminal. I have done a wiggle ride from there, but it was well organised. Where do foot passengers exit and where can the van park to meet up is the question. Thanks

http://www.calais-cotedopale.co.uk/practical/port-calais/calais-ferry-terminal

Is very simple. This route starts just before you go past customs on the way out, the lower line. Then loops round to outside the arrivals Hall where for passengers will exit from.

Shared route
From Avenue du Commandant Cousteau to 24 Boulevard des Alliés via Avenue du Commandant Cousteau.

6 min (1.6 mi)
6 min in current traffic

1. Head east
2. Take the exit
3. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Avenue du Commandant Cousteau heading to A 16/Car Ferry
4. Exit the roundabout onto Avenue du Commandant Cousteau heading to A 16/Car Ferry
5. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit
6. Exit the roundabout
7. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
8. Exit the roundabout
9. Arrive at location: 24 Boulevard des Alliés
For the best route in current traffic visit http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...de=FaqqCQMdYmgcAA==;FVWwCQMdT2wcAA==&dirflg=d

Tell me if you can see it OK.

robgul

Legendary Member
You might find it a lot easier to match people with bikes at Dover.
They then walk/ride onto the ferry and load their own bikes
Ride off at the other end and then meet the van in the middle of Calais to actually get ready to ride.

Err - I would suggest that's a rather flawed strategy - last time I looked the fare for a bike passenger was higher than just on foot (and even that is high) - bikes in the van with a person on each seat and the rest as foot passengers is the economical and logical way.

Rob

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Thanks, I will take a look see now.

Thanks Rob, not looked at costs yet, but it is generally easier for our trip too.

As for matching people and bikes at Dover, that wont work as the bikes will be packed up in the van securely. This worked well on the overnight ferry in 2016 to Caen, yep it was overnight though and not a morning crossing. I did a Wiggle ride on the Dover ferry where we stashed our bikes downstairs while we stayed upstairs. When I got down to collect bike on way home thankfully, I found it on the floor and in a different area than I left it, with other bikes in the more secure area I had originally placed it. Thanks.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Is very simple. This route starts just before you go past customs on the way out, the lower line. Then loops round to outside the arrivals Hall where for passengers will exit from.

Shared route
From Avenue du Commandant Cousteau to 24 Boulevard des Alliés via Avenue du Commandant Cousteau.

6 min (1.6 mi)
6 min in current traffic

1. Head east
2. Take the exit
3. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Avenue du Commandant Cousteau heading to A 16/Car Ferry
4. Exit the roundabout onto Avenue du Commandant Cousteau heading to A 16/Car Ferry
5. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit
6. Exit the roundabout
7. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit
8. Exit the roundabout
9. Arrive at location: 24 Boulevard des Alliés
For the best route in current traffic visit http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Avenue du Commandant Cousteau&daddr=24 Boulevard des Alliés&geocode=FaqqCQMdYmgcAA==;FVWwCQMdT2wcAA==&dirflg=d

Tell me if you can see it OK.

ah ok, so foot passengers go through that building and there is a carpark next to it. We can meet there and your route takes us straight out in to the main town. Fab, that is the exact info I needed. We might be able to did our wheels in the sea on the town side as the other side looks heavily fenced off and a distance through some scrubland. Cheers

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
ah ok, so foot passengers go through that building and there is a carpark next to it. We can meet there and your route takes us straight out in to the main town. Fab, that is the exact info I needed. We might be able to did our wheels in the sea on the town side as the other side looks heavily fenced off and a distance through some scrubland. Cheers

Yes, definitly Town side. It's not obvious how to get to la plage but you'll work it out.

Top Bottom