Calais to Gent, the best route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EmilyCC87

Regular
Hello all,

Has anyone done this route?? I am trying to find the best route but I don't really know where to start...!
we need it it be approx 100 miles, no more. But we don't mind where we go via or what particular route.
I've read up on the best ways of planning a route but how do you decide what roads to take??
And what happens if you start on a road that you really don't like and you want to detour?!
I am very new to all this so any advice woul be great.
We need to complete the trip in a day so we can't stop anywhere for too long!

2 of us on road bike, 3 on hybrids.

Look forward to suggestions/advice

Em.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd use this route as a starting point, as suggested by ViaMichelin. That's 90 miles.
I have to say, though, a 90 mile day on a hybrid is a bit of a challenge...

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
Will check it out. Thank you. What will make it difficult on a hybrid?
Is it the riding position? My partner has a boardman hybrid but I can't see much difference between that and my cheap road bike- apart from the handlebars and the pedals.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'd use this route as a starting point, as suggested by ViaMichelin. That's 90 miles.

West to East over Flanders at least you're liable to have a hefty tailwind blowing up your arse. But it is a shame to belt that out with no stops when there's plenty to see on the way.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've read up on the best ways of planning a route but how do you decide what roads to take??

Look forward to suggestions/advice

Em.

Once you get into Belgium there should be cycle paths all the way to Gent, it's just a case of finding them. There's definately a cycle route along the coast to Oostende, then you can follow the canal to Brugge and probably on to Gent. If you Google the North Sea Cycle route or search the forums you'll probably find it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's the lack of different handlebar positions, really.
Don't get me wrong, it can be done, just not by me.
After about 50 miles on flat bars my hands start going to sleep.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Along the coast to Veurnes, then either cut straight across country to Ghent (which is reasonably dull and frustrating - away from the coast Belgium is pretty developed and there's a lot of criss-crossing because the roads go around fields) or else head for Bruges and pick up the canal.

Navigation in Bruges is a nightmare, so have a good map.

It will either be the easiest 100 miles you've ever done (if the wind is with you) or the most difficult.

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular

I have had a look at the route which is good- if you are without a SatNav/equivalent how would you follow this?
What would be the best way? I was thinking of printing out the route on a close scale (so the actual road numbers are visible) and laminating it and mounting on to handlebars? Would this work?!

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
West to East over Flanders at least you're liable to have a hefty tailwind blowing up your arse. But it is a shame to belt that out with no stops when there's plenty to see on the way.

Is there anything particular you'd suggest stopping for?
I'll see if it would appeal to the group, we can always leave much earlier if there is something we'd like to see en route!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It would be a crime to whizz through or near Bruges (one of the loveliest of mediaeval cities) and not stop. To be honest, the rest of that part of Flanders is pretty bland.

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
well after our night in Gent we are cycling to Antwerp and then on to Bruges where we will have a couple of days to enjoy the city, I've heard its lovely ^_^ Its a charity ride so the stops on the way need to be minimal so we can get the miles in!
Thanks for all the advice so far

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
Sounds ideal- especially after a 300 mile ride!!
Did you see my question about following a route without a Gps system? What's your advice?

Top Bottom