Calais to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Callum28

Hello Peddling Pals!

I have a trip planned for the 14th June - 4th July. The destination - Sète for a friends wedding. Until now I was feeing pretty good about it.. Alas, it seems that I am going to potentially have some trouble getting my bike (assembled) from Calais to Paris and back.

The trip:
  • Le Shuttle (Folkestone > Calais)
  • Calais to Paris (SNCF TGV INOUI 2421) --- Here lays the issue, although their website suggests assembled bikes are not only easy to transport, but that they are also welcome, this seems to not be the case. TrainLine has told me that they only accept boxed bikes, has anyone had any recent experience with this?
  • Paris to Strasbourg (SNCF TGV INOUI 2421) --- For this leg of the trip I was able to reserve a bike space so presumably my assembled bike will be accepted no hassle.
  • Strasbourg - Black Forest - Susten Pass - Mont Ventoux - Sete, all in the saddle.
  • Sete to Calais Train (although I am now anticipating difficulties with this leg of the journey also).
Has anybody made a similar journey between Calais and Paris? If so, what was their experience like?

For reference I have attached an image of the information I got from the SNCF website, and what made me book so confidently!

Thank you for taking the time to read and I appreciate any and all advice. I will be sure to update with my experiences after the trip.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 11.10.13.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 11.10.13.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 6

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I haven't done this but I wonder if the regional trains might let you travel with your bike assembled? Would take longer but might be easier?

teebs

I'm going from Calais to Strasbourg by train in mid-June, for the Calais to Paris leg I'm just planning to get TERs - the regional trains which do allow bikes (although be careful not to get a TER-GV as they don't allow bikes). It's obviously much slower, but no issues with boxing bikes. You can get helpful info on which trains take bikes at https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/.

OP
OP
Callum28

Callum28

Hi both. Thank you and yes, I think that is my plan. I also received some advice over on Free Wheeling France and so plan to now use the regional TERS service which seems more relaxed and accommodating to bikes.

Teebs, we may cross paths!

OP
OP
Callum28

Callum28

I'm going from Calais to Strasbourg by train in mid-June, for the Calais to Paris leg I'm just planning to get TERs - the regional trains which do allow bikes (although be careful not to get a TER-GV as they don't allow bikes). It's obviously much slower, but no issues with boxing bikes. You can get helpful info on which trains take bikes at https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/.

I think the only difficulty I can foresee with using TER is that this often means multiple changes - which in itself is fine - however some of those changes are on to non-TER trains which can't guarantee bike passage. For reference I was using this website:

https://www.raileurope.com/en-gb/jo...d-1rbt6kf?outbound=d5296f-65d730&leg=outbound

I guess it would be a case of waiting at each change and catching TERS in the Paris direction. Not ideal for scheduling the train taking me to Strasbourg from Paris.

Hopefully I am completely wrong on this? From what I gather TER train's generally aren't booked in advance and bikes do not need to be pre-booked.

teebs

I think the only difficulty I can foresee with using TER is that this often means multiple changes - which in itself is fine - however some of those changes are on to non-TER trains which can't guarantee bike passage. For reference I was using this website:

https://www.raileurope.com/en-gb/jo...d-1rbt6kf?outbound=d5296f-65d730&leg=outbound

I guess it would be a case of waiting at each change and catching TERS in the Paris direction. Not ideal for scheduling the train taking me to Strasbourg from Paris.

Hopefully I am completely wrong on this? From what I gather TER train's generally aren't booked in advance and bikes do not need to be pre-booked.

I think Calais to Paris is one change on the more direct routes, either via Lille or via Amiens. I had a play with the DB site, which is my favourite for European rail planning, to work out what I'd be doing. In the advanced options for a search you can restrict it to local trains only, which then excludes all the TGVs. I wouldn't advise winging it because the TERs aren't all that frequent, so I've planned my route and timings in advance.
Basically what I've ended up planning is an afternoon ferry to Calais, early evening train to Amiens, sleep there and then morning train to Paris. As part of that I'm leaving plenty of leeway so that even if one train is cancelled I can get the one after and still make it for my TGV.

You don't need to book for TERs.

OP
OP
Callum28

Callum28

I think Calais to Paris is one change on the more direct routes, either via Lille or via Amiens. I had a play with the DB site, which is my favourite for European rail planning, to work out what I'd be doing. In the advanced options for a search you can restrict it to local trains only, which then excludes all the TGVs. I wouldn't advise winging it because the TERs aren't all that frequent, so I've planned my route and timings in advance.
Basically what I've ended up planning is an afternoon ferry to Calais, early evening train to Amiens, sleep there and then morning train to Paris. As part of that I'm leaving plenty of leeway so that even if one train is cancelled I can get the one after and still make it for my TGV.

You don't need to book for TERs.

I arrive in Calais early and I am hoping to make it to Strasbourg the same day. Thank you for the DB tip, It has been very useful. Using it to only view TER services, it does look possible to get to Strasbourg in the evening. However, are TER-GV trains listed as such on the DB app? Or might I find that some of the TERs I am relying on may be TER-GV and therefore may not accept bikes?

Trainline also shows the TER journey from Paris > Strasbourg and shows bike capability which provides me with some assurance that this is a regular TER service.

teebs

I arrive in Calais early and I am hoping to make it to Strasbourg the same day. Thank you for the DB tip, It has been very useful. Using it to only view TER services, it does look possible to get to Strasbourg in the evening. However, are TER-GV trains listed as such on the DB app? Or might I find that some of the TERs I am relying on may be TER-GV and therefore may not accept bikes?

Trainline also shows the TER journey from Paris > Strasbourg and shows bike capability which provides me with some assurance that this is a regular TER service.

Trainline should do the job. Freewheeling France also have a map of the region's TER services here: https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/images for stories/TRAIN HAUTS-DE-FRANCE.pdf

The TER GVs are the purple lines.

For the Paris to Strasbourg leg there are some TGV services on that route that let you take bikes if you book in advance. Might be worth a look. The SNCF Connect website definitely works for booking them (I have done so for my trip).

teebs

Actually the Freewheeling France one is out of date, this seems to be much more recent:

https://mmt.vsct.fr/sites/default/f...020_Externe_v44_tcm77-239632_tcm77-231358.pdf

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When you get to Sete, if you have time, pay a visit to the cemetary., this is where George Brassens is buried. ( Very famous song writer / singer poet, from the 50's and 60's ). He was known worldwide, especially in South America where many of his songs were translated in Spanish.
Enjoy your ride, I envy you.

OP
OP
Callum28

Callum28

When you get to Sete, if you have time, pay a visit to the cemetary., this is where George Brassens is buried. ( Very famous song writer / singer poet, from the 50's and 60's ). He was known worldwide, especially in South America where many of his songs were translated in Spanish.
Enjoy your ride, I envy you.

Thank you for the tip! Do you know Sete well? I ask because it looks as if I will unfortunately need to fly back to the UK due to logistics. I have emailed a couple of the bike shops to ask if they offer a bike boxing service, or would be happy to sell a bike box. Any thoughts?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Thank you for the tip! Do you know Sete well? I ask because it looks as if I will unfortunately need to fly back to the UK due to logistics. I have emailed a couple of the bike shops to ask if they offer a bike boxing service, or would be happy to sell a bike box. Any thoughts?

Not really.

Top Bottom