Calais to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blyth

Hello Peddling Pals!

I have a trip planned for the 14th June - 4th July. The destination - Sète for a friends wedding. Until now I was feeing pretty good about it.. Alas, it seems that I am going to potentially have some trouble getting my bike (assembled) from Calais to Paris and back.

The trip:
  • Le Shuttle (Folkestone > Calais)
  • Calais to Paris (SNCF TGV INOUI 2421) --- Here lays the issue, although their website suggests assembled bikes are not only easy to transport, but that they are also welcome, this seems to not be the case. TrainLine has told me that they only accept boxed bikes, has anyone had any recent experience with this?
  • Paris to Strasbourg (SNCF TGV INOUI 2421) --- For this leg of the trip I was able to reserve a bike space so presumably my assembled bike will be accepted no hassle.
  • Strasbourg - Black Forest - Susten Pass - Mont Ventoux - Sete, all in the saddle.
  • Sete to Calais Train (although I am now anticipating difficulties with this leg of the journey also).
Has anybody made a similar journey between Calais and Paris? If so, what was their experience like?

For reference I have attached an image of the information I got from the SNCF website, and what made me book so confidently!

Thank you for taking the time to read and I appreciate any and all advice. I will be sure to update with my experiences after the trip.

Hi Callum, did you share an update on this? I am hoping to do the same in June 2024.

Do you have to reserve TER trains in advance travelling with a non-dismantled bicycle? SNCF isn’t letting me reserve tickets and I am hoping that I can hop on with a bike on the day and that 9 hours to get from Calais to Paris Austerlitz will be an easy journey with time to pick up supplies - what do you reckon?

Emanresu

If you are not wedded to Calais have a look at Dieppe to Paris via Rouen on TER. There are ferries from Newhaven.

https://www.dfds.com/

To get to Newhaven, you need London - Brighton - Lewes. You can wait at Lewes for the connection to Newhaven or ride the 8 miles.

There is a rail checker here which AFAIK is the DB one.

https://hafas.bene-system.com/

Top Bottom