calamities come in threes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

Mr Pig said:
Our 'new' car is two years old and I have to say it's like a weight being lifted off my shoulders. We usually keep cars for about ten years, or until they're more trouble than they're worth, and the last car was really getting me down. I'd done so much work on it that I knew the thing inside out and was sick to death of lying under it every other weekend.

Not that this helps you at all ;0) But the point is that things change and they will get better.

Probably... ;0)

I know you are dead right. I have had old bangers all my life ( I like classic cars ). I actually run two cars so that I always have one on the road even if one is in the garage.

The Mondeo blew a head gasket last week and is going to the scrappy so my second car (weekend classic) is being used for work and after years of faultless German reliabilty everything is packing up at once.:becool:

Mr Pig

peanut said:
after years of faultless German reliabilty everything is packing up at once.

Yip. They get to a point where it's just not worth it any more. Not if you want to have a life other than fixing cars! I seriously thought of getting rid of it and not having a car but it would really hurt my wife's lifestyle, I could get by without one relatively easily.

My dads car is 15 years old, he bought it a year and half ago off ebay for 400 and then had to spent 800 getting it through the MOT and then two weeks later 300 on the alternator. and a month after that 100 on glow plugs. Then he serviced it 6 months later, repairs costing 500. And then a month ago service repairs cost 500. So for what was supposed to be an old banger till he had the money to be a newer car it has cost more than the old one did in 10 years. Before the cambelt snapped and it got scrapped.

I had a company car that was a few years old during the summer and it was an absolute heap, was in the garrage three times in the two months i had it. it also had a habit of cutting out occasionally and resulted in me kicking the underside of the dashboard in frustration, i also remember having to stop and pick up bits of trim that had fallen off.

didn't quite get to this point

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV-ehD6Wm2Q
tho ;)

OP
OP
P

peanut

Mr Pig said:
Yip. I seriously thought of getting rid of it and not having a car but it would really hurt my wife's lifestyle, .

get rid of the Wife ....;) you know it makes financial sense :smile:;)

OP
OP
P

peanut

ok just wanted to let you know that sometimes the sun shines.

Today I took the day off work for a long weekend yipee and the sun is shining yah hoo... and the car only failed on the steering shaft so £160 shaft £75.00 belts £55 Mot + VAT and £120 6 months tax so not all that bad really Phew..;)

Top Bottom