Calf cramps - need advice / help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oh_Parrothead

Been trying to figure something out and so far no luck so I thought I would try the forums for insight. I have slowly built to being able to crank out 20 mile rides and climb 7 plus percent grade hills relatively easily. However I keep getting calf cramps. It is not confined to one leg. The weather does not appear to be a factor. The type of ride in terms of intensity or terrain does not seem to make a difference. I stretch before I ride, I eat a banana about 10 minutes before I leave my house, I start drinking water before I ride, and drink about a quart of water during my rides. Despite this I still get these cramps pretty regularly while riding. I can stretch them out and keep going, but they definitely impact my rides. Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Been trying to figure something out and so far no luck so I thought I would try the forums for insight. I have slowly built to being able to crank out 20 mile rides and climb 7 plus percent grade hills relatively easily. However I keep getting calf cramps. It is not confined to one leg. The weather does not appear to be a factor. The type of ride in terms of intensity or terrain does not seem to make a difference. I stretch before I ride, I eat a banana about 10 minutes before I leave my house, I start drinking water before I ride, and drink about a quart of water during my rides. Despite this I still get these cramps pretty regularly while riding. I can stretch them out and keep going, but they definitely impact my rides. Any ideas how to fix this issue?
Water doesn't replace the salt/ minerals you lose in sweat. Try adding electolytes or carb drink to your bottle.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I used to suffer, but keeping well hydrated with water and added electrolyte tabs has all but eliminated it.
I use SIS Go Hydro, but there are lots to choose from. High5 are also good.

Compression tights / leggings can also help, although it's too warm for them in the UK at the moment!

Maybe try stretching your calf muscles out after a ride as well?

Top Bottom