Calf Muscles..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Try to analyse your pedalling style. If you bend your ankles a lot this will work your calves more than stomping will. Neither is right or wrong but it may explain your "slow on the uptake" impression. In the gym calf exercises will be some variation of 'calf raises' which simply put is extending (pointing) and retracting your foot (bending at the ankle) under resistance.

Raging Squirrel

1 word.....squats

Raging Squirrel

try this as well, just stand flat on the floor, and raise yourself onto your tip toes, 3 sets of 10. Then try again hold say a 10kg weight and so on. My calves are massive, just want to tone and define them now.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Not been riding long and my thigh muscles are improving OK but my calf muscles seem to be a bit slow on the uptake.. any tips on excercises that would help them improve them a bit more.
in an ideal world you'd expect all of your muscles to get stronger together. If they're not then why not think about the way you pedal? Are you using your calves on the downstroke?

try this as well, just stand flat on the floor, and raise yourself onto your tip toes, 3 sets of 10. Then try again hold say a 10kg weight and so on. My calves are massive, just want to tone and define them now.

like I said earlier - it all depends if you want to improve your cycling performance - or simply look like Arnold.

Raging Squirrel

you do that!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran

I was just doing this in the kitchen and SHMBO walking in and asked what I was doing so she thinks I've gone barking..:biggrin:

Not bothered about looks but better muscles for climbing hills as I live on a mountain ...we dont do flat roads right up here. :smile:

Improved cardiovascular fitness (through cycling) will, in effect, give you better performing muscles.

How do you do these.. properly?

I think the 'squats' comment was in relation to wanting to improve the 'look' of your calf muscles - if that sort of thing interests you. They certainly aren't necessary to improve your cycling.

Top Bottom