Calf muscles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

My calf muscles are approaching the thickness of my thighs. They must be used to grow so big but I can't help thinking I'm using the wrong muscles. Should I try and do something about this and if so what should I do?

montage

God Almighty
It's more than likely just genetics, don't worry about it

Danny

Legendary Member
Cyclists tend to develop big calf muscles so I wouldn't worry about it, unless you think there is something abnormally small about your thighs.

You could always join a gym and ask them to design an exercise routine that will build up your thigh muscles.

OP
OP
E

earth

I noticed today when going up shallow inclines in the saddle, I try to sit far back in the saddle and quite upright. I use my pedals to pull as much as I push. If I sit slightly forward and get my upper body lower then I feel the tops of my thighs pulling more. So maybe this is my climbing technique?

buggi

Bird Saviour
:angry: my legs are as straight as a lampost no matter now much cycling I do. Please can you donate some calf muscle to me and quit whinging.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
:angry: my legs are as straight as a lampost no matter now much cycling I do. Please can you donate some calf muscle to me and quit whinging.

+1

I can live on my bike for months and still have legs that look like the last chicken in a butchers window :biggrin:

brockers

My calf muscles are approaching the thickness of my thighs. They must be used to grow so big but I can't help thinking I'm using the wrong muscles. Should I try and do something about this and if so what should I do?

Get yourself down to your nearest track and become the next Chris Hoy.

I used to spend ages in gyms on the leg raise machine trying to build-up my puny calfs. I used to be able to do endless reps with the entire stack, but it didn't make them any bigger, just well-defined. Conversely, I have the ability to pack a lot of muscle onto my upper arms and shoulders without really trying. Not much chuffin' good for riding a bike though.

OP
OP
E

earth

Get yourself down to your nearest track and become the next Chris Hoy.

I wish

Top Bottom