Calf pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scook94

Veteran
Been experiencing pain at the top, outside of each calf after long rides. Almost feels like a ligament rather than a muscle pain.

Is it always the case that calf pain can be attributed to the seat being too high?

(I have Time ATAC pedals that have a great deal of float, so don't think it's those)

Any advice appreciated.

jonstokes

Have you tried taking a break from training, I've picked up a couple of injuries snowboarding, and gentle shorter routes seem to encourage healing. Pushing hard seems to set me back. Sounds simple but if you're working hard you might just need a rest.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
How many of these rides you do each week?
The length of these 'long rides'?
Your average weekly miles?
A diagram of your current bike setup with you on the saddle showing leg at extension at bottom of pedal stroke.
A diagram of your body position with foot on pedal at the mid 3/9 o clock position.
Do you stretch lower leg muscles after each ride?
Do you do any flexibility training?
Any history of injury ?

I havent even started to ask questions yet......;)

but I hope you get the picture..
If you seat is too high, not only will you look ridiculous as you ride with pointy toes pointing downwards, it will also hurt...........

Bill Gates

scook94 said:
Been experiencing pain at the top, outside of each calf after long rides. Almost feels like a ligament rather than a muscle pain.

Is it always the case that calf pain can be attributed to the seat being too high?

(I have Time ATAC pedals that have a great deal of float, so don't think it's those)

Any advice appreciated.

A few weeks ago I was getting calf pain in both legs; a bit like cramp. I had lowered the saddle in the summer because I was getting some tightness in the hamstrings so I raised the saddle a couple of cm to see if this was the problem and sure enough the calf pain went.

And before anyone asks the hamstrings are OK as well.:wacko:

Changing your saddle height may be the answer. Worth a try.

jimboalee

scook94 said:

Any advice appreciated.

Could even be minerals deficiency.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Thanks for all the tips. I've had another look at how the bike is set up with me sitting on it and made a few adjustments. We'll see how it pans out on the next ride.

Top Bottom