Caliper bolts missing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have BB7 discs on the Genesis

Yesterday I went for the brakes and there was a nasty metallic grinding noise from the front. My initial assumption was that somehow the pads had slipped from the springs and had got loose. I was yards from home so limped in to check it out. The two bolts that hold the front caliper on were missing! Not loose but absent.

Was only commenting to someone the other day how nicely everything was working at the moment!

Anyway, I remounted the caliper and even with the pads backed right off something's binding so I fear the rotor is bent.

I'm not posting for help (I'll get it fixed) but I just thought I'd share.

Check all those frame bolts people!!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I used the same bolts from my old BB7's to attach my current Elxirs.

When cleaning the bike I noticed that my front caliper was loose, despite me checking the correct torque on installation.

I noticed that the thread lock on the bolts looked a bit perrished - so I replaced it with some new medium thread locker and haven't had any probelms since

OP
OP
MossCommuter
I used the same bolts from my old BB7's to attach my current Elxirs.

I noticed that the thread lock on the bolts looked a bit perrished

Could it be sabotage? Odd that both bolts were missing, not just one.

I had the calipers off to replace the pads a few weeks ago and I think I might have neglected to put any thread-lock on :shy:

si_c

Guru
I had the calipers off to replace the pads a few weeks ago and I think I might have neglected to put any thread-lock on :shy:

I check bolts when I deep clean the bike (infrequent admittedly) given the state of the roads as had mudguard bolts fall out a couple of times. Don't use threadlock though, I just put grease on them and then torque them TFU.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have BB7 discs on the Genesis

Yesterday I went for the brakes and there was a nasty metallic grinding noise from the front. My initial assumption was that somehow the pads had slipped from the springs and had got loose. I was yards from home so limped in to check it out. The two bolts that hold the front caliper on were missing! Not loose but absent.

Was only commenting to someone the other day how nicely everything was working at the moment!

Anyway, I remounted the caliper and even with the pads backed right off something's binding so I fear the rotor is bent.

I'm not posting for help (I'll get it fixed) but I just thought I'd share.

Check all those frame bolts people!!

I'm not familiar with these brakes but don't the the bolts have any sort of snap or clip retainer?

Odd that both come out. Again I've no idea what the tightening torque is but Shimano are 7-8Nm, which is pretty tight, and if similar itwould be odd for them to loosen of their own accord especially over a short time period..

si_c

Guru
I'm not familiar with these brakes but don't the the bolts have any sort of snap or clip retainer?

Odd that both come out. Again I've no idea what the tightening torque is but Shimano are 7-8Nm, which is pretty tight, and if similar itwould be odd for them to loosen of their own accord especially over a short time period..

These are the bolts connecting the caliper to the fork, so no retaining clips as you would find on the pad bolt.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
These are the bolts connecting the caliper to the fork, so no retaining clips as you would find on the pad bolt.

I know.

Bit of an oversight then. I'm glad that Shimano fit them. :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
They didn't just drop out. You'd have noticed long before the bolts disappeared. Someone has had them away, either for a wheeze, or they were planning on half inching your brakes but were perhaps disturbed or summat.

Mossy - righty tighty, leftie loosey
Only works if you are looking at the bolt head head-on, and not say, turning a spoke nipple, looking from the outside of the rim, inward! Ask me how I know... ;)

OK OK, they very first time I tried, it took me a while to work out why I was making my wheel buckle worse!

Top Bottom